        .

(D'you mean the 25/587 wrt mstmp config, or iptables config, or both?)

> > > What commands are you trying to run?
> > >
> > >    -- Bruce
> > >

> > I'm sending mail to a colleague via my gmail address with:-
> >
> > cat test.mail |  msmtp -a gmail collea...@company.co.uk

Can you set a command-line verbose flag for msmtp to report & log in more
detail what it's doing, just to double-check what port(s) it is actually using
in practice.

> > where "gmail" is the name of my account in the .msmtprc file.
> >
> > As I say, the mail delivery works fine with my colleague receiving the
> > mail, and I get a copy in my gmail sent items.  However, iptables -nvL
> > shows "0" in both the pkts and the bytes columns, as if nothing has been
> > sent.  A minor point I know, but all my other traffic (ntp, http, dns, ssh)
> > is recorded by iptables in those two columns.
> >

> Are you wanting to show incoming or outgoing traffic, or both, or what?

(OK, I guess from 'sent' that you mean outgoing traffic ... ).

> Does your firewall log the traffic for the relevant port numbers and for the
> relevant table (~== traffic-flow direction)?

( s|table|table/chain| ).

> Depending on what table you're wanting to see stats for, you might need to
> use the '-t' flag for iptables to show the stats for the relevant table. You
> might also find the '--line-numbers' flag useful - e.g. for debugging. (And
> fwiw, I'd normally use the '-x' flag too).

(Long-shot: do try the '-x' - just on the outside chance that omitting it is
somehow rounding-down small-values to 0 ).

> If the above don't resolve it, then probably good idea to post your firewall
> file, plus the literal stats command line (if different from the 'iptables
> -nvL' posted above).

Maybe worth also doing:
--
* log the stats immediately pre- test-message;
* send test email; perhaps also use/send known-size attachment;

Overall, of course, it all depends on what firewall setup you've got in place.

hth,
akh