> On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 6:16 PM, Bruce Dubbs <bruce.du...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > If you are using a GUID Partition Table (GPT), then you don't need a
> initrd.
> > Assuming /boot is on a partition by itself, try:
> >
> > menuentry "LFS Dev, Linux 3.10.32-sm01" {
> >    linux /vmlinuz-3.10.32-sm01 \
> >      root=PARTUUID=49acd73e-1457-424f-8dc1-3c3fa027becf \
> >      rootfstype=ext4 rootdelay=20
> > }
> >
> > Of course, grub needs to be able to find the partition with the kernel on
> > it.  It should be on the boot device with where grub.cfg is located.
>
> Could I skip initrd with extlinux as well if I use gpt?
> If I do grub-install, it complains about gpt.. What are the tricks to
> install grub2.0 on gpt formatted disk with a separate /boot?
>
> Regards,
> Alexey
>

> You have to decide whether to use grub2 or syslinux; either will work.  My
advice is to keep it simple. I prefer syslinux to grub2 because I think
that grub2 has become too bloated, and if you are using the ext series of
file systems (including btrfs) then I see no reason to use grub2.  And,
yes, you can use syslinux with gpt and no initrd.  If you want to use grub2
then Bruce has already told you how to do it.

One point I would make is to ensure that you are using the correct GPT
GUID; it's the second one that appears in the table displayed by querying
with "i", the one that's labelled "unique".

BTW your rootdelay of "20" seems far too long; I've managed to reduce mine
to "1" as you can see from my extlinux.conf file.

Richard