> On Fri, Mar 21, 2014 at 09:24:26PM -0500, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>> m...@pc-networking-services.com wrote:
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > When we install xorg following the BLFS_7.5 stable book, when you
>> first
>> > start x using the startx command, it will complain bitterly about the
>> ISO
>> > fonts are lacking and it will NOT correctly bring up twm with the
>> three
>> > windows and clock. (If you installed the clock.)
>> >
>> > To solve this issue you need to actually install the international
>> fonts:
>> >
>> > ftp://ftp.openbsd.com/ports/distfiles/intlfonts-1.2.tar.gz
>> >
>> > After I installed these fonts I actually rebooted my computer and when
>> > issued the startx command, after a couple minutes twm started
>> correctly
>> > and the clock also came up correctly.
>> >
>> > Maybe it would be a good idea to add this to the user notes or to the
>> xorg
>> > instructions page.
>> >
>> > This is easily verified by doing a completely fresh install and
>> testing.
>>
>> Do you have the LANG or LC_* environment variables set?  I've never
>> loaded intlfonts and have never had a problem.
>>
>> Also, you must have a really slow system.  For me, twm comes up in about
>> 2 seconds.
>>
>>    -- Bruce
>>
>  I agree that the intlfonts are not normally needed - I don't usually
> build twm, but I used it when testing BLFS-7.4 in en_GB.UTF-8.  What
> particularly puzzles me about the suggestion that it is needed, is
> that BLFS has _all_ the "legacy" core fonts, i.e. the current
> versions of every font which used to be included in the last
> monolithic xorg.
>
>  Many people will not need all the core fonts!  One of the adobe 75
> or 100 dpi fonts, and perhaps misc-misc, should cover all the bases
> in an English or N.W. European locale.  For modern terms
> (unfortunately, not xterm), TrueType/OTF fonts are the way to go.
>
>  A look at the intlfonts suggests they are needed for emacs (i.e.
> for coverage of everything which emacs can support - for UTF-8 users
> that seems unlikely, all the main UTF-8 glyphs were added to the
> core fonts back in XFree86 days and only recent things like the new
> Turkish Lire symbol should cause problems.
>  But on the second point (slowness) - I've seen xorg taking a
> significant time to start the first time on *two* builds since, I
> think, last October.  I think one was when I was testing things for
> make-4.0, the other time was one of my four 7.5 builds and I believe
> they happened once on each of my two main machines.  In each case,
> the subsequent runs of 'startx', whatever the wm, were at normal
> speed.  I didn't measure how long either slow start took (wasn't
> expecting it to be slow), but I would be surprised if it was more
> than a minute each time - that _is_ on a reasonably fast machine
> [...]

Hello,

It puzzled me as well when I got that message on my screen about the fonts
lacking as I did have all the fonts installed and were correctly listed.

I have not deviated in the least from the instructions in either the
systemd 7.5 LFS book, nor the BLFS 7.5 stable book.

This was the first time starting up x server and that was the string of
messages that scrolled by.

As for my system being slow, it normally only takes a couple seconds to
startx each time after the initial one.  I have an older hp laptop with a
core two duo.

I compiled and installed xorg via chroot from the host OS which is the
latest stable Debian.

Before I even started X for the first time I had of course installed the
fonts that xorg provides in addition to the dejavu fonts and microsoft
core fonts.

I only suggested that it be added to the user notes or page as it was a
solution to the issue that I had.  I do not know if anyone else will get
that error or not, but if it was added to the notes section it may well
assist anyone who does get it.

Regards,

Christopher.