On Sat, Oct 15, 2016 at 10:23:08AM +0800, hykw...@sina.com wrote:
> >From http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/7908799/xbd/envvar.html
> >"LC_ALL
> >This variable determines the values for all locale categories. The
> >value of the LC_ALL environment variable has precedence over any
> >of the other environment variables starting with LC_ (LC_COLLATE,
> >LC_CTYPE, LC_MESSAGES, LC_MONETARY, LC_NUMERIC, LC_TIME) and the
> >LANG environment variable."
> >So, setting it forces everything, which is why I like it.  It
> >alomost sounds as if en_US.utf8 (compared to en_US.UTF-8) is NOT a
> >valid locale - but 'locale -a' only lists '.utf8 variants, not the
> >.UTF-8 ).
> >Anyway, you can now build 49.0 (or 49.0.1 which fixed some windows
> >problems).
>
> I set it to "en_US.utf8" because the caution of LXQT pre-install:
>
> Due to recent changes in grep it is essential that the installing system be
> set to a UTF-8 locale. An example is export LANG=en_US.utf8, but any UTF-8
> locale is sufficient. Failure to do this will result in a faulty installation.

Using UTF-8 locales is good, it enables more languages to be
rendered if the available fonts support them.  But for firefox I
suspect that the .utf8 form is not being recognized as valid and/or
installed.

If so, it is a Python problem (they moved to using python-2.7 for
the configure script in FF47 or FF48) : if I use either form in

 LC_ALL=... date

I get the same form of result :

2016年 10月 15日 星期六 05:16:18 BST
2016年 10月 15日 星期六 05:16:25 BST

so in general both .utf8 and .UTF-8 work.

ĸen
for them.'     -- Small Gods