is still fragile.  If anybody has any further suggestions for
getting pulse to work reliably with firefox, please speak up!.

At the moment alsa is still recognized as an option, but I don't
know if that will continue.

It turns out: I had 700 permissions on some /usr/share/ and /etc pulse related directories. By giving these directories 755 I was somehow able to make sound possible in firefox. I am still in the dark however about the entire relationship between dbus and pulseaudio and the general pulseaudio architecture.

Rene