I receive "config.status: WARNING: 'scripts/Makefile.in' seems to ignore the --datarootdir setting" when compiling xdg-utils.  Can this error be ignored?

I also receive:

   xmlto: /compiler/xdg-utils-1.1.2/scripts/html/../desc/xdg-desktop-menu.xml does not validate (status 3)
   xmlto: Fix document syntax or use --skip-validation option

I don't understand what's causing the error and I see no '--skip-validation' configuration option in xdg-utils or xmlto. Where/how do I skip validation?  And if I do so, am I simply ignoring a problem?

I mistakenly though I fixed my xdg-utils problems but I'm struggling with the package.