On 07/11/2018 09:07 AM, Ken Moffat wrote:
On Wed, Jul 11, 2018 at 11:50:06AM +0100, Hazel Russman wrote:

I have done editing before; I was a proofreader for the Open Document
team for years. But I have *zero* experience of svn and I don't
understand docbook/xml at all. Still, if there are any simple jobs that
I could do to help, I would be willing.

I've been using LFS for some years now and it's probably my favourite
distro. Maybe it's time to give something back.

I was going to point you, and anybody else who might be interested,
to the BLFS editor's guide - but the online version is slightly out
of date (I added a bit to chapter 6 a few months ago and I see that
is not in the online version).

I'll try to get that updated later today.

Nevertheless, it gives the basics, including svn access, and is at
  http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/edguide/

For rendering the beastie, I build all of chapters 50 and 51
_except_ itstool.

Let me describe here a summary of using svn and a very brief intro to rendering the book's dockbook sources.

Overall svn consists of the commands:

svn <argument> [operand]

where the most useful arguments are checkout, commit, add, mv, and diff.

The basic checkout is

svn co svn://svn.linuxfromscratch.org/BLFS/trunk/BOOK/ BLFS

For editors with commit privileges, an account is needed on the server (ask me if you want that). IN that case the checkout argument is svn+ssh://....

The above will create a directory BLFS and the source is there. To build the book look in the INSTALL file in the source. It documents the packages needed:

libxml2
libxslt
DocBook XSL Stylesheets-1.68.1
DocBook XML DTD-4.5
tidy

To create a local copy of the html, just run 'make'. For the systemd version of the book run 'make REV=systemd'. The output, by default, will be $(HOME)/public_html/blfs-book or $(HOME)/public_html/blfs-systemd.
-----

Editing Docbook sources is really pretty easy. Just use a text editor (please, do not embed tab characters. For vim, use ':set et').

If you've ever edited html, Docbook will be very easy. Just look at the current pages for examples. If you make changes and run into problems, just ask. That's the way to learn.

For editing (mainly used when adding new pages, but a useful
reference) there is a template/ directory in the book's XML source.

Bruce: the online version is at
/srv/www/www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/edguide
  : which repo has that, please ?

I've updated the website now: http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/edguide/