On 12/03/2018 06:33 PM, Ken Moffat via blfs-support wrote:
On Mon, Dec 03, 2018 at 06:00:24PM -0500, Wayne Sallee via blfs-support wrote:

On 12/03/2018 01:34 PM, Ken Moffat via blfs-support wrote:
On Mon, Dec 03, 2018 at 01:01:34PM -0500, Wayne Sallee via blfs-support wrote:
I upgraded upower to version 0.99.7 but then could no longer suspend with
the command "dbus-send --system --print-reply
--dest='org.freedesktop.UPower' /org/freedesktop/UPower
org.freedesktop.UPower.Suspend", as it gives the error "Error
org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.UnknownMethod: No such method 'Suspend' ".

So I put the older version of upower back.
[...]
Google search shows that this is "because UPower has been superseded by
Systemd.Logind".

So without systemd, what methods have y'all used to work around this?

Wayne Sallee
Three things:

pm-utils to provide the suspend and hibernate commands,

xbindkeys (run from startx) with a script to bind a specific key to
pm-suspend (on a plain keyboard I use F12 for suspend, F11 for
hibernate, but if there are extra silly keys at the top, I have used
one of those in the past),

and a file in /etc/sudoers.d so that I can run pm-suspend or
pm-hibernate via sudo without needing a password.

I will note that on modern *desktop* machines, not all of them
support suspend (nowadays, hibernate seems to work a lot more
reliably than it used to), and of those that do support suspend, a
PS/2 keyboard seems to be required (otherwise, there may not be a
way to wake it up).  For laptops, hopefully suspend "just works".

ĸen
I use xbindkeys for suspend and for hybernate, and for other things as well.
And I also use Autokey.
I have pm-utils.

Can you elaborate?

Wayne Sallee
Not sure.

At the end of ~/.xbindkeysrc I have three entries (I initially
copied this one from a machine where I could not get it to suspend,
and with an older keyboard, so two entries for hibernate and a later
addition for suspend.

"sudo /usr/sbin/pm-hibernate"
XF86Calculator

"sudo /usr/sbin/pm-hibernate"
F11

"sudo /usr/sbin/pm-suspend"
F12

And

cat > /etc/sudoers.d/suspend << 'EOF'
# allow this user to run swsuspend without a password
ken ALL= NOPASSWD: /usr/sbin/pm-suspend
EOF
chmod -v 440 /etc/sudoers.d/suspend >>$KM_LOG 2>&1

After that, if it doesn't work start debugging by trying to run
pm-suspend as root.

NB I rarely install upower, and then only because it is a dep for
something in xfce.

ĸen
Ok, so you are running pm-hibrnate and pm-suspend, instead of upower.
Could probably set those as root uid to accomplish the same thing.

Thanks.

Wayne Sallee
wa...@waynesallee.com
http://www.WayneSallee.com