Hello,

I have found that evince will not build this time around with the current book
instructions.  You need to use --disable-dvi, as for some reason they have not
included some files in their tarball.

Without passing the --disable-dvi to configure you are presented with the
following error:

 <kpathsea/debug.h>
private.h:35:10: fatal error: kpathsea/debug.h: No such file or directory
   35 | #include <kpathsea/debug.h>

This file is called from:

/evince-3.34.1/backend/dvi/mdvi-lib/private.h

I attempted to remove the call to include debug.h, and it then complained about
the next file in the list, so I suspect that all those are going to be not
found.

I did a little research, and kpathsea is meant to be part of teXlive, though it
has never been released as a stand alone version.  I do have teXlive source
installed, so I am not exactly certain why this is happening.

Regards,

Christopher.