> Sent: Friday, November 15, 2019 at 11:15 AM
> From: "Armin K. via blfs-support" <blfs-support@lists.linuxfromscratch.org>
> To: blfs-support@lists.linuxfromscratch.org
> Cc: "Armin K." <krejzi....@email.com>
> Subject: Re: [blfs-support] evince-3.34.1 fails to build
>
> On 15. 11. 2019. 12:06, Christopher Gregory via blfs-support wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have found that evince will not build this time around with the current
> > book instructions.  You need to use --disable-dvi, as for some reason they
> > have not included some files in their tarball.
> >
> > Without passing the --disable-dvi to configure you are presented with the
> > following error:
> >
> >   <kpathsea/debug.h>
> > private.h:35:10: fatal error: kpathsea/debug.h: No such file or directory
> >     35 | #include <kpathsea/debug.h>
> >
> > This file is called from:
> >
> > /evince-3.34.1/backend/dvi/mdvi-lib/private.h
> >
> > I attempted to remove the call to include debug.h, and it then complained
> > about the next file in the list, so I suspect that all those are going to
> > be not found.
> >
> > I did a little research, and kpathsea is meant to be part of teXlive,
> > though it has never been released as a stand alone version.  I do have
> > teXlive source installed, so I am not exactly certain why this is happening.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Christopher.
> >

> kpathsea/debug.h is part of TexLive (libkpathsea), not Evince. If you
> happen to have texlive installed, check that everything is set in the
> environment, so gcc can find its includes in <texlive_prefix>/include.
>
> According to evince configure snippet, if libkpathsea is not found, dvi
> won't be enabled (assumes --disable-dvi)
>
> https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/evince/blob/master/configure.ac#L694
> --

Hello Armin,

That may be what it is meant to do, ie if libkpathsea is not found, it should
assume --disable-dvi, but that certainly is not what it is doing.  Without
telling it to explicitly disable dvi it instead throws a fatal error.

I have added the teXlive include to the extrapaths.sh file, and sourced
/etc/profile and get the exact same error.

root [ /sources/gnomedesktop/evince-3.34.1 ]# echo $PATH
/opt/rustc/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/opt/ant/bin:/opt/texlive/2019/bin/x86_64-linux:/opt/texlive/2019/include:/opt/fop:/opt/kf5/bin:/opt/jdk/bin:/opt/qt5/bin

And the contents of /opt/texlive/2019/include/kapthsea is:

root [ /sources/gnomedesktop/evince-3.34.1 ]# ls
/opt/texlive/2019/include/kpathsea/
absolute.h  c-ctype.h  c-errno.h  c-limits.h  c-minmax.h  cnf.h      config.h
 c-pathmx.h  c-stat.h  c-unistd.h  expand.h  hash.h  kpathsea.h  line.h
mingw32.h     paths.h     progname.h  simpletypes.h  str-llist.h  tex-file.h
tex-hush.h  types.h     version.h
c-auto.h    c-dir.h    c-fopen.h  c-memstr.h  c-namemx.h  concatn.h  c-pathch.h
 c-proto.h   c-std.h   debug.h     getopt.h  knj.h   lib.h       magstep.h
pathsearch.h  proginit.h  readable.h  str-list.h     systypes.h   tex-glyph.h
tex-make.h  variable.h  win32lib.h

Regards,

Christopher.