> Sent: Sunday, November 24, 2019 at 12:21 PM
> From: "Paul Rogers via blfs-support" <blfs-support@lists.linuxfromscratch.org>
> To: blfs-support@lists.linuxfromscratch.org
> Cc: "Paul Rogers" <paulgrog...@fastmail.fm>
> Subject: Re: [blfs-support] More weirdness in this install
>
> > problem(s) I have is that I can no longer boot into the debian
> > installation, it seems that when I installed grub it wiped out access
> > to debian, even though the grub menu etries are still on the drive, and
> > the drive is the one that boots lfs/blfs.  It gives the error that it
> > can not mount /root and the debian install is also lvm2.
>
> Christopher, I admit I haven't followed this thread.  But if you have a
> running (B)LFS system, you might try getting & installing osprober.  It will
> look on your drive(s) and construct a GRUB menu with initrds for whatever it
> finds.  I think that's a mess, but as a temporary emergency substitute menu
> (save your old one) it might get you out of a jam.
>
> If I were to get in a major jam as I imagine you have, I'd just pull the
> drive out of the box and make it a slave in some other box where I have
> everything--but then I can see 9 boxes from where I sit, touch 3, and if you
> don't have a spare, you couldn't.
>
> --
> Paul Rogers
> paulgrog...@fastmail.fm
> Rogers' Second Law: "Everything you do communicates."
> (I do not personally endorse any additions after this line. TANSTAAFL :-)
> --

Hello Paul,

I have managed to get myself out of the mess finally.  I have also just
restored the menu item for debian now that I know for certain exactly which
drive grub is living on, namely one of my ssd drives. and it boots.  Both
debian and fedora use os-prober, and yes the menu entries are a mess with the
way it does things.  I had to strip out all the fluff that they put in their
entries so that I could get the entries to play nicely on lfs/blfs.  This is
why I do not like changing things once they are working.  It was only due to me
wanting to have flexible partitioning and moving to lvm2 that this headache
happend.

I just love it when after years of working perfectly the kernel developers
throw a curve ball and change something, as I never had to use the two
additional kernel options before, but that could also be because it has always
been needed for an lvm2/initrd setup.

I only have one computer.  I do not have the room for anymore.  When I was a
systems administrator for a webhosting company I had three so that I could test
various things before making the change on the live servers.

Regards,

Christopher.