Hi Rick and David,

You are right. The tutorial do cover recording procedures, but if I
remember, it only covers recording with a microphone.

Below are the questions to Chris of GoldWave and his answers. I was
asking him some basic questions on how to record LPs with GoldWave.
The same procedures can be used for tapes. I think that the recording
level should be properly set for a good recording. Incidentally, the
output will be in WAV format which can be converted to MP3.

If I can be of any further help with this particular subject, please
contact me. I am still new at this though.

Lennie

Lennie wrote:

Q: The question I have, is there any way that I can adjust the recording
level when I set up my LPs?

A: You can turn on the "Monitor input" option in GoldWave (press F11,
Record tab).  That will monitor the input levels even when you are
not recording.

If a screen reader is active, then the recording and playback levels
are given numerically with the elapsed time and status.  They are the
percent values
given at the end.  You need to hold down the Ctrl key for a while to
update the numerical levels, which are peak values. Releasing and
pressing the Ctrl
key again resets the values and scans for new peak levels.  Adjust
the volume level (press F11, Volume tab) so that the loudest peaks
are about 90% to
95%.

Chris

Lennie wrote:

Q: I still cannot hear any volume level when I play sound in line-in...

A: Are you able to read the elapsed time and status?

When you run GoldWave, two windows appear: the Main window and the
Control window.  The elapsed time is given on the Control window.  If
you press Alt+F6,
focus should change between the Main window and the Control
window.  Do that first.

Once focus is in the Control window, you can use the Tab key to move
between the buttons, faders, and the elapsed time box.  It should
read "Stop 0.0 (0%
0%)".  That is the status, elapsed time, and percent levels.

Chris

Lennie wrote:

Q: However, I have the line-in volume set at 95 and the percentage in
the control area showed a very low percentage like 16%. I do not see
the relationship
between the actual recording level between the two...

A: Unfortunately that is normal.  There is no exact relationship
between the volume level setting and the actual input level because
there are many variables.
Holding the Ctrl key for a longer period of time may find higher
peaks.  Try playing the loudest part of the LP and holding the Ctrl
key during that time.
If the peak level is consistently lower than 50%, you'll need to
increase volume levels either externally or in the program.  To avoid
distortion the level
should never hit 100% or more.

If you haven't done so, enable the "Monitor input" option (press F11,
Record tab).  That will allow you to scan the input level with the
Ctrl key without
having to start a test recording.

Chris

Lennie wrote:

Q: I noticed that 0.0 is the elapsed time, but what is the difference
between the first percentage and the second percentage?

A: The first one is the left channel level and the second is the right.

Q. When I hold the control key down, am I supposed to hear Jaws
telling me anything or does it just change the peak and I have to get
Jaws tell me the percentages?

A: JAWS probably wouldn't tell you anything.  When you hold the Ctrl
key, GoldWave scans the input for the maximum amplitude and updates
the percent levels.
You'd have to make JAWS re-read the levels.

Q. How do I tell when the peak is reached? You mentioned 90% - 95%

A: The percent values are always the highest peak levels.  In other
words, they are the maximum levels that GoldWave could find while you
where holding the
Ctrl key.  Whether or not they are the maximum peak levels of the
entire song is a different question.  You'd have to hold down the
Ctrl key for the entire
song to find those.

After recording a song you could use the "Effect | Volume | Maximize
Volume" command to scan the entire recording to determine what the
peak values are,
which might be easier than holding the Ctrl key for several
minutes.  Ideally the maximum levels should be above 0.9 but less than 1.0.

Chris

Lennie wrote:

Q: I noticed that the highest reading at 58 was 54% in the right
channel. I think that what you are telling me is that is too low? Right?