Hi.
thanks much for that info. I have reformatted that drive and will probably do it with another that I have but first I need to move the stuff off it temporarily.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mike & Barbara" <mb76nor...@dc.rr.com>
To: <blind-computing@jaws-users.com>
Sent: Thursday, August 13, 2009 8:58 AM
Subject: Re: [Blind-Computing] fat 32 or NTFS

Hi Dan,

Yes it is possible to reformat a FAT32 format to a NTFS format.  The steps
are below along with a website link for future reference.

If you plan to download files to your flash drive that are larger than 4gb, you need to reformat it to NTFS, instructions for which can be found on the
site below.  However, if your files are smaller than 4gb, you can leave it
in the default FAT32 format.  By the way, I have found no articles that
suggest that reformatting a modern flash drive creates damaging stress on
its memory components.  In fact, I recently reformatted my new 8gb flash
drive to NTFS so that I could back up my Documents and Settings folder
(which is larger than 4gb) using the Windows XP Backup utility, and have had
no problems.

http://www.ntfs.com/quest22.htm

Gerald

Q: How do I format a USB Flash Drive to NTFS file system?

A: To enable NTFS on your USB Flash Drive drive (USB Flash Memory):

1. Right click My Computer and select Manage.

2. Open the Device Manager and find your USB drive under the Disk Drives
heading.

3. Right click the drive and select Properties.

4. Choose Policies tab and select the "Optimize for performance" option.

5. Click OK.

6. Open My Computer.

7. Select Format on the flash drive.

8. Press Alt + F for the file menu and choose NTFS in the File System
dropdown box.

9. Device Formatting is completed.

Important: To remove a device safely without data loss use a "safely remove
hardware" procedure or Eject function from Windows Explorer.

http://www.ntfs.com/quest22.htm

Gerald

Hope this info provided by Gerald helps.  It certainly helped me.  Take
care.
Mike

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dan Murphy" <mwe...@roadrunner.com>