It depends which journal entries  you have unlocked.  First you go to
the Stern Lumber Yard and do the quests there until you get the
journal entry that says, "You overhear a Stern Shipping employee
complain that they lost their Battered Knife pass when they were down
in Smuggler's Cove trading with the Golden Sands"
A new quest will appear at Smuggler's Cove. Go to Smuggler's Cove and
complete the Golden Sands Hideout quest until you find the pass. If
you complete the quest more than five times and still do not find the
pass, it could be that you already found it without noticing. You can
try to go to Battered Knife, and if the "Unlock and Travel" button is
not dimmed, you already have the pass. If it is still dimmed, just
keep completing the Golden Sands Hideout quest.

Respectfully,
Phoebe Harris