Sadly enough I have saw similiar fixtures.  Different ones were put together
differently.  If it is all painted up options become limited.
Well you or your wife probably will not like this one.  Unless you really
want to repair, rewire these for the antique value the most expediant thing
to do is use a cold chisel, punch or such lay it against the ceramic fixture
and rap it soundly with a hammer.  Make sure to wear safety goggles and long
sleeves and gloves would not hurt.  that stuff can break into some sharp
pieces.
You will likely find there is no electrical junction box in the ceiling so
when enough of the fixture is broken away some screws will show up being in
wood.  Hopefully destroying the first one will allow you to determine how it
was put together so maybe you will not have to break the others.  If you are
down to small enough pieces they can sometimes be crushed with a pair of
channel lock pliers.
The simplest replacement electrical junction box to hang the new fixture on
is called a ceiling pan.  They come in 3 1/2 inch and 4 inch round sizes.
They are only one half inch in deph so you can chisel out the plaster screw
it to the ceiling lathe and it will be flush with the ceiling.  If the new
fixture allows it you can sometimes not bother with cutting the plaster out
and just run the screws through it.
I would also not be suprised to see just two black wires with very brittle
crumbling insulation up there.  Use some shrink tube or pull some insulation
off some new wire to recover them.  The old knob and tube stuff had some
advantages but the insulation does dry out.
Ron