From: "Dale Leavens"<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: 10/23/06 5:25:01 PM
To: "blindhandyman@yahoogroups.com"<blindhandyman@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BlindHandyMan] Supporting the Work

This won't help you too much but this week Canadian Tire has roller stands
on sale for under ten bucks.

I have a couple, I am of a couple of minds about them. These ones have a
pipe with horizontal pipe across the bottom and a similar parallel flat
steel bent up at the ends with a roller across. A second inverted 'T' hinged
from a cuff that fits around the main pipe and can be slid up and down and
tightened into place with a hand knob on a bolt.I paid nearly fifty bucks
for mine a couple of years ago.

The height is infinitely variable from something like 30 to 42 inches. I use
mine to catch stock coming off my table saw or jointer or drum sander and
could use it with the drill press too I suppose, just never have.

My main complaint is that if the board nudges the roller stand it often
prefers to fall over rather than raise the board over the top.

My hero Norm Abrams has made one, a sort of box within a box with a threaded
rod to be screwed up or down to set the height. He made a set of rollers on
the top using plastic plumbing pipe with wooden circles in the ends and rod
through. I am thinking that a very slight slope toward the approaching work
might catch the end and tilt on a pivot to level and it would be secure
against falling over.

There is little worse than having to depend on something innately
undependable.

I have been known to suspend the end of a long piece from a rope attached to
the overhead joists.

Dale Leavens, Cochrane Ontario Canada
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Skype DaleLeavens