  From: Scott Howell
  To: blindhandyman@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Tuesday, January 02, 2007 4:32 PM
  Subject: [BlindHandyMan] rail repair

  Hello folks and Happy New Year,

  I have a problem and I'm not sure exactly what to do about it. I
  installed some oak hand rails in the stairwell in my house. Now a
  friend of mine helped since he had the saw I needed at the time. We
  had one hell of a time finding studs to attach the rail too. However,
  with some expander/toggle bolts we got the job done and it seems to
  be holding where it was necessary. Now the reason we did this is that
  at certain points we just couldn't find anything to attach the rail
  too no matter how much that stud finder said there was a stud there
  and even tapping indicated it was correct. However, as we drilled we
  found there must have been very thin wood of some sort that held the
  drywall up.
  So, here's the problem. I got one end of the rail very secure cause
  there we need to hit a stud, but at the mid and top part the toggle
  bolts aren't holding as well as they should. My first thought was to
  drive a screw through the end of the rail and into the wall because
  as far as I can tell, at that curved piece at the top of the rail
  which is against the wall, there appears to be a stud present. The
  problem is drilling through the oak, driving the screw in, and then
  filling the hole so you wouldn't notice the hole was there. My second
  idea is considerably more nuts and that was to go to the stairwell
  next to the problem area, drill through the wall, drive the screw in
  so it grabbs the rail on the otherside of the wall and at least there
  would be an easier patch to be performed. So, now that I've confused
  folks with my explanation, has any one got any ideas? The rail isn't
  coming off the wall, but its not as stirdy as it should be.

  tnx
  Scott