I checked this out and status is true. It went on to say that kids may also 
be in danger if the shredder is left on the automatic setting. I would 
suggest unplugging the tool. I just did because of my guide dog.
Lenny
Keep pets from paper shredders

DENISE FLAIM, Newsday dot Com



January 22, 2007



It's never what you worry about.



Ellen Lutz of Aquebogue learned that firsthand last month,

when her 7-month-old golden retriever, Striker, ambled into

her home office and licked her paper shredder.



To her horror, the machine latched onto his tongue, and began to grind.



"He was screaming, and he was fighting for his life," says Lutz, adding
that in his panic, the 67-pound puppy did even more damage to his
mutilated tongue.  She immediately disconnected the shredder, and took
Striker to a nearby emergency hospital.



"I was covered in blood from head to toe," Lutz remembers.



A story this horrific is hard-pressed to end well: Striker's injury was so
severe - basically, most of his tongue was gone - that he was euphonized.



"I've been in emergency medicine for 10 years, and this is

the first time I have seen or heard of this," says

veterinarian Gal Vatash of the East End Veterinary

Emergency and Specialty Center in Riverhead, who treated Striker in
December. "But I'm surprised it doesn't occur more often. Most of us have
paper shredders at home, and dogs are always sticking their noses in all
kinds of places."



Indeed, Striker is not alone. The Consumer Product Safety Commission has
recorded five dog mutilations involving shredders, and what is not known
is how many cases go unreported.







To listen to the show archives go to link
 http://acbradio.org/handyman.html
or
ftp://ftp.acbradio.org/acbradio-archives/handyman/

The Pod Cast address for the Blind Handy Man Show is.
http://www.acbradio.org/news/xml/podcast.php?pgm=saturday

The Pod Cast address for the Cooking In The Dark Show is.
http://www.gcast.com/u/cookingindark/main.xml

Visit The Blind Handy Man Files Page To Review Contributions From Various List 
Members At The Following address:
http://www.jaws-users.com/handyman/

Visit the new archives page at the following address
http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/  
For a complete list of email commands pertaining to the Blind Handy Man list 
just send a blank message to:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] 
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/blindhandyman/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/blindhandyman/join
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] 
    mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
 

Reply via email to