Well, so long as you have the choice that is a point. Because mine is a power vented unit I require electricity anyway which has made me consider a generator on more than one occasion.
Similarly my furnace is a closed combustion unit so in addition to the forced air fan there is the fan which draws combustion air from outside and through the combustion chamber so the electronic ignitor is a redundant issue. My understanding though is the issue of fuel conservation. I can't imagine that open pilots will be permitted for much longer. Just how much gas is being constantly burned across North America alone I wonder! Dale Leavens, Cochrane Ontario Canada [EMAIL PROTECTED] Skype DaleLeavens Come and meet Aurora, Nakita and Nanook at our polar bear habitat. ----- Original Message ----- From: William Stephan To: [email protected] Sent: Tuesday, May 22, 2007 12:16 PM Subject: Re: [BlindHandyMan] water heater question Dale: I have a furnace with an electronic ignition, and a hot water heater with a standing pilot. The hot water heater is about six years old. I'm sort of conflicted about the wisdom of buying an electronically ignited unit when I have to replace this one, because the old standing pilot unit doesn't need electricity to operate. We sometimes get serious ice storms and power outages in Winter, and I like the idea of at least having hot water. Bill Stephan Kansas City, MO (816)803-2469 William Stephan -----Original Message----- .From: "Dale Leavens"<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> .Sent: 5/22/07 9:34:15 AM .To: "[email protected]"<[email protected]> .Subject: Re: [BlindHandyMan] water heater question . .Wow! . .I am surprised. Apart from legacy equipment we aren't allowed them at all. . . .Dale Leavens, Cochrane Ontario Canada [EMAIL PROTECTED] .Skype DaleLeavens .Come and meet Aurora, Nakita and Nanook at our polar bear habitat. . . . ----- Original Message ----- . From: Dan Rossi . To: [email protected] . Sent: Tuesday, May 22, 2007 9:43 AM . Subject: Re: [BlindHandyMan] water heater question . . . Dale, . . Unless I am seriously mistaken, standing pilots are still very available . today. As a matter of fact, when I was looking at tankless water heaters, . the systems with electronic ignition were quite a bit more expensive than . those with a standing pilot. These are brand new systems I can purchase . and install today. . . -- . Blue skies. . Dan Rossi . Carnegie Mellon University. . E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED] . Tel: (412) 268-9081 . . . . .[Non-text portions of this message have been removed] . [Non-text portions of this message have been removed] To listen to the show archives go to link http://acbradio.org/handyman.html or ftp://ftp.acbradio.org/acbradio-archives/handyman/ The Pod Cast address for the Blind Handy Man Show is. http://www.acbradio.org/news/xml/podcast.php?pgm=saturday The Pod Cast address for the Cooking In The Dark Show is. http://www.gcast.com/u/cookingindark/main.xml Visit The Blind Handy Man Files Page To Review Contributions From Various List Members At The Following address: http://www.jaws-users.com/handyman/ Visit the new archives page at the following address http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/ For a complete list of email commands pertaining to the Blind Handy Man list just send a blank message to: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Yahoo! Groups Links <*> To visit your group on the web, go to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/blindhandyman/ <*> Your email settings: Individual Email | Traditional <*> To change settings online go to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/blindhandyman/join (Yahoo! ID required) <*> To change settings via email: mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] <*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: [EMAIL PROTECTED] <*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to: http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
