I like the idea you are using  maybe some carriage bolts Dan not sure
what it is called but when we did the decks we bought a long shank drill
bit  which in  the end had a screw type starter and then the flat
cutting blade for the size carriage bolts. do not rush  the project for
winter. get David over there from Johnstown to  help you cut some 2 by
6's for that top rail and  router or belt sand the edges. Cut back on
the beer for this job and wait until all done to kick back and enjoy a
cold one or two. Lee

--
"A mind is a terrible thing to have leaking out your ears."
                -- The League of Sadistic Telepaths