Dan, before you rip those  joists out consider  if those high spots are
not all the way across. a plane or even a belt sander with a heavy grit?
Just thinking of renailing or bolting up those joists  which will have
your previously   nail / bolt holes? Lee

--
        "When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last,
"what's the first thing you say to yourself?"