Try oven cleaner. That is what use to do it for me.
RJ
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Lenny McHugh
  To: Handyman-Blind
  Sent: Sunday, October 28, 2007 5:12 PM
  Subject: [BlindHandyMan] surface rust

  Hi All, My wife just noticed some light surface rust spots on my table saw.
There is an overhead cold water pipe. For a few weeks I didn't have the saw
covered and condensation caused the drops to fall on the saw.
  I wonder what is the best way to remove. She noticed it when I was getting
ready to apply a coat of Slipit
  I thought about using toothpaste and a dremmal tool. The toothpaste would act
like a very fine rubbing compound. I do have sighted help that can remove the
spots as opposed to me using steel wool over the entire top..
  Lenny http://www.geocities.com/lenny_mchugh/