Well it's just for a 2 or 3 inch diameter hole for a patio umbrella. So I
should be able to find a hole saw at the hardware store to fit.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Dale Leavens
  To: blindhandyman@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Friday, May 23, 2008 5:30 PM
  Subject: Re: [BlindHandyMan] cutting a circular hole

  You should never use a hole cutter in anything other than a drill press for
reasons of safety however you can safely use a hole saw. These come in a number
of sizes, I think my largest is 4 and a half inches. These can be used in a
hand power drill. There is a central twist bit which is longer than the
peripheral ring with saw teeth. The twist bit guides the rotating saw into and
on through the wood.

  I suggest that once the bit comes out the far side and before the rotating
saw part cuts through that you remove the hole saw and complete the cut from
the other side to keep it from tearing the wood as it exits.

  You can buy individual hole saws or a set. If not readily available where you
live I bought my sets from Leevalley.com.

  I doubt you will find a spade bit big enough but you could get a large auger
bit for a hand brace & bit.

  Hope this helps.