Sunday I was digging along side of the neighbors house, laying drain pipes
to get the water to run away from the house. As I was moving the dirt, I
started to smell natural gas. Called the gas company for a check and they
couldn't detect any leaks. AS I continue to dig with a small hand shovel and
found the gas line about 4 inches to the left of where I was digging, the
smell got stronger. Called the gas company back. After a little discussion,
they agreed to send a man back out to the site. This time his pressure gauge
was showing a leak. Needless to say, the meter was shut off and a lock was
installed. He said call when the line was repaired. On Monday it was off to
purchase the parts to replace 75 feet of gas line, from the meter to the
house. Years ago, the flexible pipe was orange in color and about 10 cents a
foot. Now it is a bright lime/lemon color and 53 cents a foot. I had to
remove a couple boards from the patio decking and as the neighbors were
digging the holes, I began to tear the old piping apart, after hack sawing
under the decking, and where it entered the house. I had the neighbors buy
all new fittings from the meter and a piece of 38 inch black pipe, 100 feet
of plastic 1 inch gas  pipe and a couple of nipples, plus a couple of
couplings. plus a bottle of the pipe dope. Instead of hearing the gas
company complaining about a blind fellow doing the installation, I just told
the girls to tell the gas man they installed the pipe their selves.  The gas
meter was turned back on and all is well.
RJ