  From: Geoff Eden
  To: blindhandyman@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Friday, August 22, 2008 6:38 PM
  Subject: Re: [BlindHandyMan] wheelchair ramp

  You certainly may want to take a look at your local code, as a ramp is
something which can be seen by any passerby. It would be such a shame to have
to rebuild it.

  There are all kinds of published standards for ramp building, most
specifically mentioned that one in 12 rise over run is the minimum, and that if
you can find room, anything you can do to increase the run and decrease the
rise is useful for the party who will have to climb the ramp afterwards. Most
codes have turned to a 5 1/2 foot turning radius for wheelchairs, but many are
going toward six or 6 1/2 feet as scooters use the same path, and many cannot
turn in 5 1/2 feet.

  Width is another consideration, and 36 or more inches is usually deemed
desirable.

  You may also wish to consider a second hand rail placed at about 24 inches as
this may assist the wheelchair user in maneuvering up and down the ramp. You
may find that the material they sell for the top rail of chain-link fences,
inch and 0.25 x 7 .5 feet makes excellent rail material. Be sure, however, when
installing the rail, to clear it of any knuckle crushers, as there is nothing
that hurts like or heals more slowly than Gray's knuckles.

  Build for drainage, especially if you're in an area were ice can be a
problem. There are lots of nonslip solutions for traction, the cheapest of
which is sand sprinkled on fresh paint.

  Take note of the height of the wheelchair from the ground between the front
and rear wheels, and take that into consideration when transitioning from ramp
to flat surface ensuring that there is no chance of the chair bottoming.

  Occasionally I have seen outdoor quality hydraulic lifts for sale in the used
market. Frankly, they're often installed for older parents etc. who move on and
have no further use for the device. Some of them stand up remarkably well in
weather.

  Very best of luck with this project.

  Geoff