I guess I have had pretty good luck. The only woodworking show I have been to
so far was in London, I went with my son. There was a chap demonstrating and
selling the Tormek wet slow speed sharpening system which I was very interested
in at the time. Between demonstrations I asked if I could come around his side
of the bench to examine and handle the tool. Within minutes he got right into
it and soon had me demonstrating the equipment with his instruction to the next
gathering of onlookers. I darn nearly bought one just on the strength of that.

It was a clerk in a local hardware store who taught me to sweat copper pipe.

I did run into a problem with a shop teacher here back in about 1975, one of
those after hours night school classes. For me the big problem was that he
didn't approach or tackle it directly with me but went off to the college
people in Timmins and to one of the other class members where they arranged
some sort of agreement where the other student was to assist with supervising
me. I didn't find out about that arrangement until one day the other student
didn't make it. The instructor blurted it all out. The interesting think is
that the other student wasn't there because earlier that evening he had cut
some part of his own hand while trimming tile or something on his own table saw
at his home.

Ultimately I relented, the instructor had apparently told his supervisor that
if he had to accept me then the buddy system to which I had not agreed, never
even heard of would be implemented otherwise he would refuse to run the class.
I probably could have forced the issue but it would have destroyed the class
for the others and I decided I didn't need to harvest that bad feeling,
particularly in a small town.

It wasn't really much of a class, nothing formally taught, it was however an
opportunity to use power tools on a scale I would likely never be able to
afford and probably a chance to ask and gain experience from an already skilled
person.