hav you had a play with a compound  mighter saw?
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Bob Kennedy
  To: blindhandyman@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Tuesday, November 10, 2009 2:54 AM
  Subject: Re: [BlindHandyMan] Power Miter Saw

  A good bit heavier, and because of the rails to slide on, they do take up a
bit more room.

  I had a Dewalt I think it was a 705. A 12 inch stationary compound miter. Had
because one of my houses was broken into while being remodeled and I had stuck
the saw in a closet. Someone got a beauty.

  The stationary compound weighed about 45 pounds and I could carry it in one
hand.

  I now own a Dewalt 708, and it's massive compared to the 718 model that's out
now. The rails that mine slide on are about an inch and a half in diameter, and
just guessing but I'd bet it's double the weight of my first saw.

  The 718 has a little wider cut than mine but I picked mine up as a payment
for some back rent. So I couldn't beat the price... they don't make it now, and
the 718 is the bells and whistles model.

  If you're thinking of getting one, check out several different brands and do
some checking online. I've seen a bunch of them from Ryobi to Festool. And the
prices go up steadily until you go to Festool and then the curve becomes a
wall... $1300 at last check.

  Also try to get a hold of a radial arm saw and see which one you like better.
The knock on the radial arm is that you can pull the blade over your hand. You
can do that with a slider too if you don't pay attention.

  They both seem to take up about as much bench top but in reality, a radial
arm is more versatile. You can raise the blade much like a table saw, just in
reverse order. you can put a stack of dado blades and cut very accurate dados
as wide as the arm can go. You can't do that with a slider.

  I know this will open the old discussion again about which is better. I'll
just say the best saw is the one you like most. Play with a few different
brands and you'll develop a favorite.