Hello Claudia,

The vacuum is probably the best way to keep the dust down but if you prefer, a
wide push broom, a big dustpan or the vacuum once you push dust and dirt into
the corner to pick it up and I would recommend purchasing some Dustbane to put
down before you sweep to keep dust from rising and flying about. Dustbane I see
when looking up the spelling isn't a specific product but a product line. What
I remember about it is it's specific smell and wondering at the janitor
scattering this dirt looking stuff on the floor before then sweeping it up. It
looked to me like a make work project as an observing  7 year old.

There are different grades of push broom, you want something fairly soft so the
bristles don't just flick the dirt about. this is not an automotive garage you
are cleaning. I like to store my brooms upside down with the bristles in the
air to minimize them forming shape to the floor as they stand. I have a couple
I use mostly outside on the patio and driveway.

You could also damp mop but that too is difficult.

Your spider webs, though a little gross are a good way of keeping other insect
activity under control. There are other ways though.

I wonder if they still make those Vapona strips. They were a flat strap maybe
three inches wide, quarter inch thick and about 8 inches long. they were
impregnated with a chemical which killed insects in an enclosed space and
probably also caused genetic deformities in future generations particularly if
you spend prolonged times enclosed with them. We also had a timed device, a
couple of batteries in a box turned a cam shaft and sprayed a small squirt of
insecticide every 15 minutes or so all summer. Used to set it up near the cold
air return of the furnace to insure whole home coverage but you may only want
it in a corner of your basement.

The spiders and many other insects like places like your basement, it is cool,
dark and the relative humidity will be that bit higher, just what they love.

A dehumidifier might also help.

If you are not using the basement a lot then the floor probably isn't getting
all that dirty. There might be some fall-out from above though, dust and debris
left over from the destruction. It might help to use the wand and a soft brush
and work overhead removing dust from the structures above so it doesn't rain
down when the kids are stamping about overhead.

Those are the thoughts which come immediately to my mind.

Dale Leavens.