  From: Alan Paganelli
  To: blindhandyman@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Tuesday, August 31, 2010 10:30 AM
  Subject: Re: [BlindHandyMan] Cooking with Gloves - Was: Using Gas Grill!

  Their not cheap at 20 bucks each and that's not for a set either. Consumer
  Reports they do what they say they do but it could give some folks a false
  sense of security. The amount of time they can protect you is limited and
  variable depending on the conditions. I use mine for taking things out of
  the oven or toaster oven or microwave. On the grill, if it's to hot for me
  to put my hands over it, I just turn off the burners. Once the source is
  quelled, you can use your fingers to touch the meat and see what's going
  on.. Example: last night I had 5 really nice pork chops on the grill. Two
  of them were almost twice as thick as the remaining three. I suppose that's
  because they came from two separate packages. I store them in Ziploc
  freezer bags. My wife insists I cook to close to the forward edge. I do
  but that way I don't have to put my hands directly over the heat. She was
  going to turn the chops over for me as I was doing something else and put
  the two larger chops over the burners. When I went to check to see if they
  were finished, I didn't know she had moved the two chops and got a surprise
  when I touched the cast-iron cooking surface. I did it real quick and did
  not get burned. She said oh sorry! I forgot to tell you I moved the two
  chops. I picked up my double spatchula and flipped them over to check
  things out. They all were done and I took them off the grill with the
  double spatchula. It's just a matter of what your use to using.

  Alan

  Please click on: http://www.home.earthlink.net/~alanandsuzanne/
  There, you'll find files of my arrangements and performances played on
  the Yamaha Tyros keyboard. I often add files so check back regularly!

  The albums in Technics format formerly on my website are still
  available upon request.