Their not cheap at 20 bucks each and that's not for a set either.  Consumer
Reports they do what they say they do but it could give some folks a false
sense of security.  The amount of time they can protect you is limited and
variable depending on the conditions.  I use mine for taking things out of
the oven or toaster oven or microwave.  On the grill, if it's to hot for me
to put my hands over it, I just turn off the burners.  Once the source is
quelled, you can use your fingers to touch the meat and see what's going
on..  Example: last night I had 5 really nice pork chops on the grill.  Two
of them were almost twice as thick as the remaining three.  I suppose that's
because they came from two separate packages.  I store them in Ziploc
freezer bags.  My wife insists I cook to close to the forward edge.  I do
but that way I don't have to put my hands directly over the heat.  She was
going to turn the chops over for me as I was doing something else and put
the two larger chops over the burners.  When I went to check to see if they
were finished, I didn't know she had moved the two chops and got a surprise
when I touched the cast-iron cooking surface.  I did it real quick and did
not get burned.  She said oh sorry! I forgot to tell you I moved the two
chops.  I picked up my double spatchula and flipped them over to check
things out.  They all were done and I took them off the grill with the
double spatchula.  It's just a matter of what your use to using.

Alan

Please click on: http://www.home.earthlink.net/~alanandsuzanne/
There, you'll find files of my arrangements and performances played on
the Yamaha Tyros keyboard.  I often add files so check back regularly!

The albums in Technics  format formerly on my website are still
available upon request.