Not clear why it is preferable to sweep over vacuum unless there is debris too
formidable for the vacuum however having said that, the strategy for sweeping
would be similar to for vacuuming. You work out a pattern which will cover the
entire area, say beginning in one corner and moving along the wall maybe
sweeping toward the center of the room, then returning that few feet further
into the room ultimately until you have more or less crossed the room gathering
the dust and dirt to the final corner. Now bend over and sweep the debris
gently into the dust pan.

Thing to remember about sweeping is that the broom will tend to raise light
dust into the air, eventually it will resettle.

A push broom may work better, covering a wider area and you tend not to wave it
about as one does a corn broom so you are less likely to raise clouds of dust.
I have a couple in the yard however I find they don't tend to get as much of
the smaller debris as does the corn broom. Harder to get into the corners and
such as well.

I have never much liked mopping much. A damp mop will do very well with picking
up light dust but a dry mop tends to raise dust it doesn't catch.

When it comes to washing a floor I feel I really need to get right down onto it
and scrub and rinse and wipe more or less dry to do a good job, a mob I really
dislike. Loads of folk are perfectly happy washing floors with a wet mop and
ringer though.

Dale Leavens