On Thu, Oct 19, 2023 at 4:41 PM TAMURA, Kent <tk...@chromium.org> wrote:

> Contact emailstk...@chromium.org
>
> ExplainerNone
>
> Specificationhttps://drafts.csswg.org/css-ruby-1/#ruby-display
>
> Summary
>
> New CSS display property values, "ruby", "ruby-base", and "ruby-text",
> to them, and ruby layout respects these display values. Web authors can use
> any elements such as <div> to render ruby by setting the new display values.

<rb> is not a standard HTML element, and is marked as obsolete:
https://html.spec.whatwg.org/#rb

This is a historically contentious topic; see e.g.
https://github.com/whatwg/html/issues/7587 and
https://github.com/whatwg/html/issues/1771 . I think if Chromium is
interested in reintroducing the rb element to the standard, it'd be good to
discuss that with the standards community, and work on a proper change to
the HTML Standard.

In the meantime, I'd suggest not introducing any default CSS changes that
only work with elements marked as obsolete in the HTML Standard.