On Thu, Oct 19, 2023 at 11:33 PM Jeffrey Yasskin <jyass...@google.com>
wrote:

> My reading of #1771 is that the only thing keeping <rb> out of HTML is the
> lack of a Blink or WebKit implementation. It looks like
> https://github.com/whatwg/html/pull/6478 is already written to improve
> the text, so the only thing for Kent to do is to make sure that this change
> implements that PR and then say so on the PR?

Sort of, but as Elika's email alludes to, the situation is a bit more
complicated. That PR includes both rb and rtc, as part of a whole new ruby
model, of which Kent is proposing to ship only a part. It seems we would
need a cut-down version of that PR which extends the current ruby + rt
model to a new intermediate ruby + rb + rt model.

My main constraint is that we don't ship something that relies on rb,
without rb becoming part of the HTML spec. There are multiple ways to
satisfy this constraint, but the technically simplest is probably to remove
the UA stylesheet update to rb that Kent proposes, and continue shipping
the rest of the CSS features (including the HTML stylesheet updates to ruby
and rt).

Other possibilities include shipping a ruby + rb + rt model (including HTML
spec changes), or shipping a ruby + rb + rtc model (which I think is what
Firefox is shipping, according to Elika. And would also require HTML spec
changes, albeit ones that are partially done, but unreviewed, in PR 6478.)

Note that while the ordering I've given above is for technical simplicity,
there may be other concerns about reaching cross-browser consensus. As you
noted, it seems there is conditional consensus on the
most-technically-complex ruby + rb + rtc model, if we do go that route.