Contact emailsmas...@chromium.org

Explainerhttps://github.com/whatwg/html/issues/8867#issuecomment-1856696628

SpecificationNone

Summary

The prototype implementation (which was shipped in 2020 and then
shape-changed in 2023) contained a method called `getInnerHTML()` that
could be used to serialize DOM trees containing shadow roots. That part of
the prototype was not standardized with the rest of declarative shadow dom,
and only recently has it reached spec consensus (
https://github.com/whatwg/html/issues/8867). As part of that consensus, the
shape of the getInnerHTML API changed. This feature represents the
deprecation of the old, shipped `getInnerHTML()` method. The replacement is
called `getHTML()`: see https://chromestatus.com/guide/edit/5102952270528512
.

Blink componentBlink>DOM>ShadowDOM
<https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/list?q=component:Blink%3EDOM%3EShadowDOM>

Motivation

The standardized method, getHTML(), has the chance at being interoperable,
while this version (getInnerHTML) does not.

Initial public proposal
https://github.com/whatwg/html/issues/8867#issuecomment-1856696628

TAG reviewNone

TAG review statusPending

Risks

Interoperability and Compatibility

The use counter for getInnerHTML() (
https://chromestatus.com/metrics/feature/timeline/popularity/3874) shows
0.04% of page loads using this function as of January 2024. That represents
high usage for deprecation, however, the numbers were quite similar for the
deprecation of the old `shadowroot` attribute, and the removal of that
feature generated zero bug reports. It is my strong belief that since this
feature is only shipped in Chrome, the vast majority of usage is guarded by
feature checks. So this deprecation should be safer than it would seem from
the numbers. My plan is to very slowly disable the API and monitor closely
for bug reports. That approach was quite successful for the removal of
shadowroot. If bugs are reported, I'll back off and make a new plan.

*Gecko*: No signal

*WebKit*: No signal

*Web developers*: No signals

*Other signals*:

WebView application risks

Does this intent deprecate or change behavior of existing APIs, such that
it has potentially high risk for Android WebView-based applications?

None

Debuggability

None

Is this feature fully tested by web-platform-tests
<https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromium/src/+/main/docs/testing/web_platform_tests.md>
?No

Flag name on chrome://flagsNone

Finch feature nameNone

Non-finch justificationNone

Requires code in //chrome?False

Tracking bughttps://crbug.com/1519972

Estimated milestones

No milestones specified

This intent message was generated by me, manually, because of this bug
<https://github.com/GoogleChrome/chromium-dashboard/issues/3596>.