Also, would you mind requesting reviews for the various shipping gates (privacy, security, enterprise, etc.) in your chromestatus entry?

On 3/19/24 12:34 PM, Yoav Weiss (@Shopify) wrote:

On Mon, Mar 18, 2024 at 3:37 PM 'David Adrian' via blink-dev <blink-dev@chromium.org> wrote:

            Contact emails

    dadr...@google.com

            Explainer

    https://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-tls-westerbaan-xyber768d00-02.html

            Specification

    https://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-tls-westerbaan-xyber768d00-02.html

            Summary

    Protect current Chrome TLS traffic against future quantum
    cryptanalysis by deploying the Kyber768 quantum-resistant key
    agreement algorithm. This is a hybrid X25519 + Kyber768 key
    agreement based on an IETF standard. This specification and launch
    is outside the scope of W3C. This key agreement will be launched
    as a TLS cipher, and should be transparent to users.
    https://blog.chromium.org/2023/08/protecting-chrome-traffic-with-hybrid.html

            Blink component

    Internals>Network>SSL

<https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/list?q=component:Internals%3ENetwork%3ESSL>

            Search tags

    tls <https://chromestatus.com/features#tags:tls>, kem
    <https://chromestatus.com/features#tags:kem>, kyber
    <https://chromestatus.com/features#tags:kyber>, postquantum
    <https://chromestatus.com/features#tags:postquantum>

            TAG review

            TAG review status

    Not applicable

            Risks

            Interoperability and Compatibility

    Post-quantum secure ciphers are larger than classical ciphers.
    This may cause compatibility issues with middleboxes.

I'm guessing we're talking about MITM middleboxes, is that correct?
What's our plan to mitigate that risk? Slow rollout? Enterprise policy? Both? Something else entirely?

    /Gecko/: Shipped/Shipping
    (https://github.com/mozilla/standards-positions/issues/874)
    Firefox is also in the process of rolling this out.

    /WebKit/: No signal
    (https://github.com/WebKit/standards-positions/issues/244)

    /Web developers/: No signals

    /Other signals/:

            WebView application risks

    Does this intent deprecate or change behavior of existing APIs,
    such that it has potentially high risk for Android WebView-based
    applications?

            Debuggability

            Will this feature be supported on all six Blink platforms
            (Windows, Mac, Linux, ChromeOS, Android, and Android WebView)?

    Yes

            Is this feature fully tested by web-platform-tests

<https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromium/src/+/main/docs/testing/web_platform_tests.md>?

    N/A

            Flag name on chrome://flags

    enable-tls13-kyber

            Finch feature name

    PostQuantumKyber

            Requires code in //chrome?

    False

            Tracking bug

    https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1442377

            Launch bug

    https://launch.corp.google.com/launch/4252981

            Estimated milestones

    Shipping on desktop         124
    Origin trial desktop first  118
    Origin trial desktop last   123
    DevTrial on desktop         115

    Shipping on Android         128
    OriginTrial Android last    128
    OriginTrial Android first   118
    DevTrial on Android         115

    Shipping on WebView         128
    OriginTrial webView last    128
    OriginTrial webView first   118

            Links to previous Intent discussions

    Intent to prototype:

https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/blink-dev/CAGkh42%2BgKeCTA6vWwzrE%3DDVR%3DTmQaCyDFQxqnXkOy9GcVyGtnA%40mail.gmail.com
 Intent
    to Experiment:

https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/blink-dev/CAGkh42%2B37SpGUy9t6bBkP13XQL4mrEaY%2Bu0wAzttjZyr_f2rGA%40mail.gmail.com

    We plan to ship Kyber (ML-KEM) by default on /desktop platforms
    only/ starting in M124. Kyber is a quantum-resistant key exchange
    mechanism for TLS that defends against harvest-now-decrypt-later

<https://bughunters.google.com/blog/5108747984306176/google-s-threat-model-for-post-quantum-cryptography>
    attacks. This risk is relevant even if quantum computers do not
    yet exist.

    Due to the structure of TLS 1.3, Kyber key shares are sent on the
    first ClientHello message regardless of server support. Servers
    that do not yet support Kyber will ignore it, and select a
    different algorithm. Servers that do support Kyber, such as GFEs
    and Cloudflare, will select Kyber and respond with their own Kyber
    key encapsulation.

    Unfortunately, Kyber key shares are around 35x larger than an
    X25519 key exchange, which increases the latency of the TLS
    handshake connections by 4-6%. On Desktop platforms, this effect
    is largely in the noise due to the higher likelihood of a
    high-bandwidth low-latency connection, and connection pooling
    reuse (one TLS handshake, many HTTP requests). On Android, this
    effect is far more noticeable and results in measurable
    regressions in LCP.

    Therefore, we intend to ship Kyber by default on Desktop platforms
    while we come up with a broader strategy for when and how to ship
    post-quantum cryptography on Android.

    N.B. This Chrome Status entry is old and predates the new approval
    system from summer 2023.

    This intent message was generated by Chrome Platform Status
    <https://chromestatus.com/>.
    Groups "blink-dev" group.
    send an email to blink-dev+unsubscr...@chromium.org.

https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/blink-dev/CAGkh42K4xE5n_Fbt8heqhNMC7-xf3RhNVopguK3YeTVoYM-VzQ%40mail.gmail.com

<https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/blink-dev/CAGkh42K4xE5n_Fbt8heqhNMC7-xf3RhNVopguK3YeTVoYM-VzQ%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "blink-dev" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to blink-dev+unsubscr...@chromium.org. To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/blink-dev/CAOmohS%2BQfNtLkMRmf1o9-1GtVrDh6R2b_ugJeVNvjAQULPsTRA%40mail.gmail.com <https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/blink-dev/CAOmohS%2BQfNtLkMRmf1o9-1GtVrDh6R2b_ugJeVNvjAQULPsTRA%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.