LGTM2. Good luck!

On 3/20/24 4:30 PM, Yoav Weiss (@Shopify) wrote:
LGTM1

On Wed, Mar 20, 2024 at 8:35 PM David Adrian <dadr...@google.com> wrote:

    > What's our plan to mitigate that risk? Slow rollout? Enterprise
    policy? Both? Something else entirely?

    We also worked with a variety of vendors to fix incompatibilities
    that were brought to our attention, including Vercel, ZScaler, and
    PayPal CN (who have all since patched prior to any level of stable
    deployment).

    > I'll LGTM once the review gates are flipped

    Ack.
    On Wednesday, March 20, 2024 at 1:58:33 AM UTC-4
    yoav...@chromium.org wrote:

        On Tue, Mar 19, 2024 at 10:23 PM David Benjamin
        <davi...@chromium.org> wrote:

            > I'm guessing we're talking about MITM middleboxes, is
            that correct?
            > What's our plan to mitigate that risk? Slow rollout?
            Enterprise policy? Both? Something else entirely?

            Whether the middlebox MITMs the TLS connection is not
            terribly important. As long as they attempt to parse the
            ClientHello, they will need to handle the larger
            ClientHellos. They already do in that there's nothing
            stopping session tickets, etc., making the ClientHello
            large already, but Kyber makes it more likely.

            We have already done a slow rollout. This has been running
            on 10% stable for several months now, and so far things
            seem to be fine. Some initial compat problems, but largely
            fixed now. We're far, far, /far/ past the point that
            there's nothing more we can smoke out without proceeding
            to 100%.

            And, yeah, the plan to mitigate the remaining risk is an
            enterprise policy, PostQuantumKeyAgreementEnabled, that
            admins can set while their middlebox vendors become
            post-quantum-ready. The admin policy has been in place for
            quite some time now, and has been communicated in
            enterprise release notes. Also the presence of any such
            incompatibility on an enterprise network blocks
            /any/ deployment of post-quantum algorithms, so ultimately
            the middleboxes will just need to get fixed. The various
            ecosystem pressures towards getting to post-quantum are
            particularly strong in enterprise anyway, so hopefully
            admins will be more likely to understand why it's
            important for them to fix those.

https://chromeenterprise.google/policies/#PostQuantumKeyAgreementEnabled

        Makes sense, thanks!!

        I'll LGTM once the review gates are flipped.

            On Wed, Mar 20, 2024 at 2:34 AM Yoav Weiss (@Shopify)
            <yoav...@chromium.org> wrote:

                On Mon, Mar 18, 2024 at 3:37 PM 'David Adrian' via
                blink-dev <blin...@chromium.org> wrote:

                            Contact emails

                    dad...@google.com

                            Explainer

https://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-tls-westerbaan-xyber768d00-02.html

                            Specification

https://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-tls-westerbaan-xyber768d00-02.html

                            Summary

                    Protect current Chrome TLS traffic against future
                    quantum cryptanalysis by deploying the Kyber768
                    quantum-resistant key agreement algorithm. This is
                    a hybrid X25519 + Kyber768 key agreement based on
                    an IETF standard. This specification and launch is
                    outside the scope of W3C. This key agreement will
                    be launched as a TLS cipher, and should be
                    transparent to users.

https://blog.chromium.org/2023/08/protecting-chrome-traffic-with-hybrid.html

                            Blink component

                    Internals>Network>SSL

<https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/list?q=component:Internals%3ENetwork%3ESSL>

                            Search tags

                    tls <https://chromestatus.com/features#tags:tls>,
                    kem <https://chromestatus.com/features#tags:kem>,
                    kyber
                    <https://chromestatus.com/features#tags:kyber>,
                    postquantum
                    <https://chromestatus.com/features#tags:postquantum>

                            TAG review

                            TAG review status

                    Not applicable

                            Risks

                            Interoperability and Compatibility

                    Post-quantum secure ciphers are larger than
                    classical ciphers. This may cause compatibility
                    issues with middleboxes.

                I'm guessing we're talking about MITM middleboxes, is
                that correct?
                What's our plan to mitigate that risk? Slow rollout?
                Enterprise policy? Both? Something else entirely?

                    /Gecko/: Shipped/Shipping
                    (https://github.com/mozilla/standards-positions/issues/874)
                    Firefox is also in the process of rolling this out.

                    /WebKit/: No signal
                    (https://github.com/WebKit/standards-positions/issues/244)

                    /Web developers/: No signals

                    /Other signals/:

                            WebView application risks

                    Does this intent deprecate or change behavior of
                    existing APIs, such that it has potentially high
                    risk for Android WebView-based applications?

                            Debuggability

                            Will this feature be supported on all six
                            Blink platforms (Windows, Mac, Linux,
                            ChromeOS, Android, and Android WebView)?

                    Yes

                            Is this feature fully tested by
                            web-platform-tests

<https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromium/src/+/main/docs/testing/web_platform_tests.md>?

                    N/A

                            Flag name on chrome://flags

                    enable-tls13-kyber

                            Finch feature name

                    PostQuantumKyber

                            Requires code in //chrome?

                    False

                            Tracking bug

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1442377

                            Launch bug

                    https://launch.corp.google.com/launch/4252981

                            Estimated milestones

                    Shipping on desktop         124
                    Origin trial desktop first  118
                    Origin trial desktop last   123
                    DevTrial on desktop         115

                    Shipping on Android         128
                    OriginTrial Android last    128
                    OriginTrial Android first   118
                    DevTrial on Android         115

                    Shipping on WebView         128
                    OriginTrial webView last    128
                    OriginTrial webView first   118

                            Links to previous Intent discussions

                    Intent to prototype:

https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/blink-dev/CAGkh42%2BgKeCTA6vWwzrE%3DDVR%3DTmQaCyDFQxqnXkOy9GcVyGtnA%40mail.gmail.com
 Intent
                    to Experiment:

https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/blink-dev/CAGkh42%2B37SpGUy9t6bBkP13XQL4mrEaY%2Bu0wAzttjZyr_f2rGA%40mail.gmail.com

                    We plan to ship Kyber (ML-KEM) by default on
                    /desktop platforms only/ starting in M124. Kyber
                    is a quantum-resistant key exchange mechanism for
                    TLS that defends against harvest-now-decrypt-later

<https://bughunters.google.com/blog/5108747984306176/google-s-threat-model-for-post-quantum-cryptography>
                    attacks. This risk is relevant even if quantum
                    computers do not yet exist.

                    Due to the structure of TLS 1.3, Kyber key shares
                    are sent on the first ClientHello message
                    regardless of server support. Servers that do not
                    yet support Kyber will ignore it, and select a
                    different algorithm. Servers that do support
                    Kyber, such as GFEs and Cloudflare, will select
                    Kyber and respond with their own Kyber key
                    encapsulation.

                    Unfortunately, Kyber key shares are around 35x
                    larger than an X25519 key exchange, which
                    increases the latency of the TLS handshake
                    connections by 4-6%. On Desktop platforms, this
                    effect is largely in the noise due to the higher
                    likelihood of a high-bandwidth low-latency
                    connection, and connection pooling reuse (one TLS
                    handshake, many HTTP requests). On Android, this
                    effect is far more noticeable and results in
                    measurable regressions in LCP.

                    Therefore, we intend to ship Kyber by default on
                    Desktop platforms while we come up with a broader
                    strategy for when and how to ship post-quantum
                    cryptography on Android.

                    N.B. This Chrome Status entry is old and predates
                    the new approval system from summer 2023.

                    This intent message was generated by Chrome
                    Platform Status <https://chromestatus.com/>.
-- You received this message because you are
                    subscribed to the Google Groups "blink-dev" group.
                    emails from it, send an email to
                    blink-dev+...@chromium.org.

https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/blink-dev/CAGkh42K4xE5n_Fbt8heqhNMC7-xf3RhNVopguK3YeTVoYM-VzQ%40mail.gmail.com

<https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/blink-dev/CAGkh42K4xE5n_Fbt8heqhNMC7-xf3RhNVopguK3YeTVoYM-VzQ%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/blink-dev/CAOmohS%2BQfNtLkMRmf1o9-1GtVrDh6R2b_ugJeVNvjAQULPsTRA%40mail.gmail.com

<https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/blink-dev/CAOmohS%2BQfNtLkMRmf1o9-1GtVrDh6R2b_ugJeVNvjAQULPsTRA%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "blink-dev" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to blink-dev+unsubscr...@chromium.org. To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/blink-dev/CAOmohSKkvJmq-wT%3Dm6q20igyOr8qqgcLuCCjPYto%3D-F0FATbHg%40mail.gmail.com <https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/blink-dev/CAOmohSKkvJmq-wT%3Dm6q20igyOr8qqgcLuCCjPYto%3D-F0FATbHg%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.