The windows version thing is mostly smoke and mirrors.
Until Windows 10, the version stayed at 6.x for a long time...
Even in 10, there are not many changes, they are mostly cosmetic.
NVDA works surprisingly well in Windows.
The thing is, I need 3 different screen readers: JAWS, NVDA, and Window Eyes to get the things done I have had to do in Windows. I have switched almost entirely to Linux now. I only have Windows for a few clients who require me to have it.