I feel particularly acutely the fact that we don't have a good "simple to
deliver" solution today for the curious (not deeply commited) person. I was
trying to help a friend with a TP-Link Archer C7, but was stymied because I
can't simply install OpenWrt CC because of their "FCC fix".

Besides, OpenWrt CC is now eight months old: although it's stable, it probably
doesn't have the latest bufferbloat/make-wifi-fast fixes. The DD development
and release process is uncertain. DD-Wrt is of unknown quality (does it include
fq_codel? make-wifi-fast? will it ever?), with a really ugly and not
terribly-welcoming forum. I have great hopes for LEDE, but it is still
sprinting toward its first stable release, so we can't count on it today.

So we are stuck in the short term with a "lack of a product". I have faith that
it will happen, but we need to build our plan around its arrival date.

Rich