Hi Dave,

> On Apr 10, 2023, at 01:04, David Lang via Bloat <bloat@lists.bufferbloat.net>
> wrote:
>
> TCP ramps up it's speed fairly slowly, and backs off fairly drastically when
> it is told (via ECN or a dropped packet) that it has hit the limit.

        [SM] That is the prevailing narrative, yes. However during slow start
most/many TCPs double the congestion window every RTT and since it takes up to
a full RTT for a drop or CE mark to be fed back to the sender, TCPs can end up
with a congestion window that is up to twice as large as sustainable, so the
"classic" halving of the congestion window when dropping out of slow-start
seems not like a bad idea... after that the congestion window increase rate
will be somewhat slower...

> As a result, a single TCP session is not going to fully utilize a connection.

        [SM] In my experience even single TCP flows can get close to saturation
(but I typically do such tests over short paths...)

> There are people who do large, high speed transfers over long distances on a
> regular basis (think movie studios sending uncompressed movie footage around
> the world for processing).

        [SM] Yes, that is not me ;)

> To fully utilize their bandwidth, they use protocols that involve lots of
> connections operating in parallel

        [SM] Or stick to TCP but run a few connections in parallel, if these
are not synchronized the aggregate ends up saturating a path pretty well
(within reason, over long RTT paths the control loop simply is not as "tight"
as over short RTT paths...)

Regards
        Sebastian