> On 28 Feb 2024, at 05:52, Rich Brown via Bloat <bloat@lists.bufferbloat.net>
> wrote:
>

>> On Feb 27, 2024, at 12:00 PM, bloat-requ...@lists.bufferbloat.net wrote:
>>
>> On 2/26/2024 6:28 AM, Rich Brown via Bloat wrote:
>>> - Avoid the WAN port's DHCP assigned subnet (what if the ISP uses
>>> 192.168.1.0/24?)
>>
>> I recently got ATT fiber and its modem won't let me assign from
>> 10.0.0.0/8! So I put a Raspberry Pi 4 in front of it.
>
> Exactly! There are no rules about what subnet range an ISP's gear will assign
> to DHCP devices.

Actually there are rules.  Go read RFC 1918 and you will see it specifically
excludes this use.  RFC 1918 addresses are for intra enterprise devices.  CPE
devices, by function, are not intra enterprise.  CPE devices are shared devices
used by both the ISP and the customer regardless of who owns the hardware.

100.64/10 is an example of a shared space for numbering CPE devices.  It was
allocated specifically because RFC 1918 addresses are inappropriate for
numbering CPE devices by ISPs.

Mark

> So (I believe) it becomes incumbent on OpenWrt to be smarter than the ISP's
> router (shouldn't be hard) and pick a separate subnet for its LAN & wireless
> interface. (Clearly, OpenWrt could default to 192.168.1.0/24, but if that's
> that range the ISP is using, it could switch to 192.168.2.0/24. I think
> that's all the flexibility that's required...)
>
> And then advertise a mDNS name to make it easy for humans to connect. Who
> would notice?
>
> - Newcomers wouldn't - they'd just connect and configure as described in the
> Wiki
> - Grizzled OpenWrt old-timers wouldn't notice either, because they will have
> set their ISP device to use some other address range.
>
> Any reason not to build this into OpenWrt? Thanks.
>
> Rich

Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742              INTERNET: ma...@isc.org