On 2/27/2024 6:31 PM, Matt Taggart via Bloat wrote:
Also... starting back in the old CeroWRT days I switched to using the 172.16 rfc1918 ranges when I realized that nobody else uses them, and that has been a good way to avoid collisions (but wouldn't work as an openwrt default).

A customer of my company uses 172.16 subnets at their various locations, so it was good that I used a /16 from 10/8 for ours when we need to VPN in to work on a customer machine.

At home I use 172.16 subnets for the LAN side of my ISP CPEs with my own router in front of them. So my home LAN can be in a 10/8 subnet in spite of ATT's restriction.

I reserve 192.168/16 for when I need to plug in some new piece of hardware that defaults to that address block.