On Mar 2, 2010, at 6:46 AM, Noel O'Boyle wrote:

>> nasty stuff... better to avoid stereochem in 0D files.
>
> That's great Greg - you've obviously a lot of experience with this.
> Will do as you suggest across the board. At least we will have two
> toolkits behaving the same. I'll write up the specifics on our wiki
> and the BO wiki once I'm done.

What I've said in the past, is that SMILES -> SDF -> SMILES will unfortunately
drop stereochem, unless 2D or 3D structure layout is performed in the SDF
conversion. Of course, at the time I said that, Open Babel didn't have either
3D or 2D generation capabilities.

Now, I think anytime someone posts a "bug" about this process, I'm going to
suggest they do at least 2D layout. If so, obviously stereo is retained.

-Geoff