Noel O'Boyle wrote:
> Are some of the wedge/hash bonds in typical MOL files unrelated to
> stereochemistry? That is, are some purely for depiction? If I knew
> this for sure, I would not retain the wedge/hash bond designations in
> the input but just work them out from the perceived stereo.

YES.  Lots of them.  We see this all the time - people use wedge/hash to do
pseudo-perspective drawings.  This is particularly common with metals.

http://www.emolecules.com/image?db=549&id=17252456&width=400&height=400
http://www.emolecules.com/image?db=549&id=718320&width=400&height=400

But I also see it all the time with organic molecules, particularly structures
that are hard to draw in 2D (semi-cage ring systems that won't lay flat).
People use hashes and wedges to try to make them look nice, that have nothing
to do with stereochemistry.

Craig