Burning Man Update: The Jack Rabbit Speaks
Volume 18, Issue #5
October 17, 2013

{==============================}
{=======TABLE OF CONTENTS======}
{==============================}

INTRODUCTION

LATEST NEWS:
+ A BURNER WINS 2013 NOBEL PRIZE IN CHEMISTRY
+ BLACK ROCK SOLAR HONORED FOR SELFLESSNESS
+ LAST CHANCE TO PARTICIPATE IN BRC 2013 CENSUS
+ EVENTS, ACTIVITIES AND ART GRANT INFORMATION FROM BLACK ROCK ARTS FOUNDATION
+ 2013/14 BURNING MAN CALENDAR NOW AVAILABLE

BURNING MAN WRITINGS:
+ TALES OF DRONES
+ WHY DOES BURNING MAN SEEM SO MUCH LIKE A POLITICAL MOVEMENT?

PHOTOS, VIDEO & AUDIO:
+ SAN FRANCISCO DECOMPRESSION PHOTOS & WRAP-UP
+ THE BURNING CULT OF BOTTLED THOUGHTS
+ CHRIS GUEST FROZE BURNERS

PARTICIPATE:
+ BURN2 CARGO CULT - SECOND LIFE - OCT 19-27

SUPPORT A PROJECT:
+ WORK ON A BURNING MAN PROJECT (OR FIND SOMEONE WHO CAN)!

EVENTS AND HAPPENINGS:
+ SHANGHAI DECOMPRESSION - SHANGHAI, CHINA - OCT 19
+ THE GIFT: FROM ECONOMY TO COSMOLOGY - PETALUMA, CA - OCT 28
+ SEATTLE'S SEACOMPRESSION: MENAGERIE CATASTROPHE - SEATTLE, WA - NOV 2

BLACK ROCK CITY CIVICS:
+ GOOP - GIFTING OUT OF PLACE

CONNECT WITH BURNING MAN:
Burning Man on your favorite social networks

ADMINISTERRATA:

{==============================}
{========INTRODUCTION==========}
{==============================}

**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**

Now, a slew of superlative people attend Burning Man each year (and YOU are no
exception!), we all know that. But we were especially pleased to learn this
year's winner of the Nobel Prize for Chemistry, Michael Levitt, is a Burner!
We've got the story on the Burning Blog: http://bit.ly/H52xDk

Back on the ranch, we've got info on Regional events in Seattle, Shanghai and
Second Life. Wait...what was that last one? Yes, BURN2 takes place online in
Second Life October 19-27. No matter where you live, grab an avatar and head
out to the virtual playa! Details below.

Lastly, Burning Man Project is hosting a talk with Charles Eisenstein, (author
of Sacred Economics), temple-builder David Best and artist Joshua Coffy, titled
"The Gift: From Economy to Cosmology" October 28 @ 6 p.m., in Petaluma, CA. If
you're in the area, don't miss it. We've got details below, or visit
http://bit.ly/19qkDbO.

We hope Fall is treating you well so far, wherever you are.

The Man burns in 317 days!

**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**

{==============================}
{==========LATEST NEWS=========}
{==============================}

**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**

THE 2013 NOBEL PRIZE WINNER IN CHEMISTRY IS A BURNER

Congratulations to Michael Levitt, professor of structural biology at the
Stanford University School of Medicine. He was awarded this year’s Nobel Prize
in Chemistry for his work in the 1970′s ”for the development of multiscale
models for complex chemical systems.” Why does this matter to you? Well,
Michael, it turns out, is a Burner! We are not entirely surprised.

Learn more and see a picture of Michael, his wife Rina, and the sculpture they
created for Burning Man 2013 here in the Burning Blog: http://bit.ly/H52xDk

**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**

BLACK ROCK SOLAR HONORED FOR SELFLESSNESS

Black Rock Solar — Burning Man's spin-off non profit organization — has been
awarded the Brian D. Robertson Solar Schools Memorial Fund Award, honoring
BRS’s selflessness in solar advocacy, installations and education work. Learn
more on the Burning Blog: http://bit.ly/19G47o6

**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**

LAST CHANCE TO PARTICIPATE IN BRC 2013 CENSUS

The Black Rock City Census wants YOU to count, but not after this week. Wait,
that didn't come out right. Let's try it again. Your deadline to participate in
the BRC Census for 2013 is coming right up ... October 20 (that's this Sunday)
to be specific. So hop to it! http://census.burningman.com

**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**

EVENTS, ACTIVITIES AND ART GRANT INFORMATION FROM BLACK ROCK ARTS FOUNDATION

Keep up on everything happening with the Black Rock Arts Foundation in the
latest edition of their newsletter. It includes tons of great upcoming events
and activities, as well as information about how to apply for a 2014 art grant
(for off-playa art, that is). Check it out: http://bit.ly/17LBEuh

**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**

2013/14 BURNING MAN WALL CALENDAR NOW AVAILABLE

The 2013/14 Burning Man wall calendar is now available and it features gorgeous
photographs from throughout Burning Man's history. Makes a great gift and
keepsake and is a daily reminder of our home in the desert.
http://bit.ly/16bLSKa

**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**

{==============================}
{=====BURNING MAN WRITINGS=====}
{==============================}

**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**

TALES OF DRONES

Award-winning writer Susan Karlin wrote about drones on playa. Here's a
snippet: "Burning Man is known for flouting rules, not making them. But the
advent of drones hovering above 70,000 scantily clad revelers has engaged a
balancing act between freedom of expression, safety, and privacy. How Burning
Man regulates their use is now being studied by local law enforcement and
government agencies as a template for how they can be regulated in society."

Here it is in Fast Company: http://bit.ly/1aq7AWQ

She wrote another piece and it went in IEEE Spectrum: http://bit.ly/173IcLq

Finally, she recorded a story about drones too, which aired on KCRW (LA's NPR
affiliate): http://bit.ly/GRG6lh

**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**

WHY DOES BURNING MAN SEEM SO MUCH LIKE A POLITICAL MOVEMENT?

Caveat Magister explores the relationship between Burning Man and politics, in
the Burning Blog: http://bit.ly/17uIVzj

**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**

{==============================}
{====PHOTOS, VIDEOS & AUDIO====}
{==============================}

**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**

SAN FRANCISCO DECOMPRESSION PHOTOS & WRAP-UP

Coverage and photos from John Curley in the Burning Blog: http://bit.ly/1alMwAz

Photos from Michael Troutman: http://dmtimaging.com/2013/decompression.htm

**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**

THE BURNING CULT OF BOTTLED THOUGHTS

Coyote told us about his project:

"Participants at a playa photo studio were asked the answer the question 'What
message would you send in a bottle to the outside world?' Here's the result:
https://lenscraft.com/galleries/burning-cult/ "

**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**

CHRIS GUEST FROZE BURNERS

This is pretty rad ... you might find yourself holding your breath once in a
while. Chris writes:

"Inspired by the Burning Man principle of 'Immediacy', or 'being in the
moment,' I had the idea of 'freezing' people I met there in their moment, using
a camera effect called 'Bullet time', which is like on the Matrix where it
looks like the camera is moving while the subject is somehow frozen in time.

So for the last six months or so I'd been working on a way to create this
effect from just one camera and a handheld contraption that I invented and
called 'The Camapult'. This short film is the result and is my gift to the
amazing people that took part: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bje0I_hdi-8 "

**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**

{==============================}
{=========PARTICIPATE==========}
{==============================}

**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**

BURN2 CARGO CULT - SECOND LIFE - OCT 19-27

Super Suz wants to geek out with you:

"What happens when a real-world event transcends the bounds of the virtual
world and takes its experience into another realm? Welcome to BURN2, your
virtual Burning Man!

What is BURN2? Burning Man’s ONLY officially sanctioned virtual regional! Who
attends BURN2? Participants who want to share the unique experience of Burning
Man and its culture in an easily accessible, 3-D, virtual environment. Anyone
can attend, anyone can experience, and anyone can enjoy! Many of the events you
will see at Burning Man you will see here, too! And without the heat and dust!
(Turn up your furnace and put up a fan in front of a kitty litter box if you
need that.)

Get a free avatar and walk around the 97-acre BURN2 playa; experience art
installations and participate in theme camps. Dance and drum to the beats of
the Lamplighters as they light the city’s lanterns at dusk. Interact with
Rangers, Greeters, and other participants from all around the world. Dance to
live DJ’s. Participate in poetry workshops. Drive mutant vehicles or visit
elaborate porta potties. Write messages in the Temple. Watch the Man burn!
There’s plenty of ways to participate!

For Burners new to Second Life, visit www.burn2.org and check out the links on
the right-hand side. The first link will get you set up with an avatar. Avatars
are free, and most people learn basic navigation skills fairly easily. The
second link will transport you to the virtual playa. Just click that link, and
then the 'Visit This Location' button, and whoosh!

Need more help? Join the BurningMan 2.0 group once in Second Life, introduce
yourself, and ask our friendly community for assistance. Or, email
i...@burn2.org. Be sure to include your avatar name if you’ve set one up.

Can't wait to see you on the 'playa' Oct. 19-27!"

**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**

{==============================}
{=======SUPPORT A PROJECT======}
{==============================}

**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**

WORK ON A BURNING MAN PROJECT (OR FIND SOMEONE WHO CAN)!

Looking for a project on which to utilize your formidable skills? Or need
somebody with said skills to work on YOUR project? Hook up with each other
here: http://spark.burningman.com

**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**

{==============================}
{=====EVENTS & HAPPENINGS======}
{==============================}

**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**

SHANGHAI DECOMPRESSION - SHANGHAI, CHINA - OCT 19

Our Shanghai Regional contact (Sven) writes to let us know about their
Decompression:

Saturday, October 19
6 p.m. - 4 a.m.

Featuring: CORE and Playa Films, BBQ, Homemade Food-Share, Book Swap.

Entertainment: 2 DJ rooms til late, Games Lounge, Art, Performances, Fire Cake,
Poi Spinners and more!

The Mansion: Dynasty Villa B-18, No. 851 Hongjing Rd.
*Before 10 p.m. come from the front gate, after 10 p.m. come from the secret
gate.
Metro Line 10, Shanghai Zoo, Exit 4

*Always carry passport/VISA copy or Local ID original when attending events

* Advised to arrive before 9 p.m. to honor the residents nearby

Contact: shang...@burningman.com (Sven the Regional Contact)
or nicholas.koth...@gmail.com (Nick the events coordinator)

https://www.facebook.com/events/519262224823674/

**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**

THE GIFT: FROM ECONOMY TO COSMOLOGY - PETALUMA, CA - OCT 28

Burning Man Project presents Charles Eisenstein, David Best and Joshua Coffy
discussing "The Gift: From Economy to Cosmology" on Oct 28 @ 6 p.m., in
Petaluma, CA. Join us! For more information and tickets, visit:
http://bit.ly/19qkDbO

**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**

SEATTLE'S SEACOMPRESSION: MENAGERIE CATASTROPHE - SEATTLE, WA - NOV 2

Our friends in Seattle write:

SeaCompression is Seattle’s own annual post-Burning Man arts festival.
SeaCompression is a celebration of the interactive arts, music, lights, emotion
and experience, with the added emphasis on participation. Participants can
watch, learn and grow with live fire art, live music, kinetic sculptures, art
cars, multiple dance spaces, sound and light shows. This in an immersive
experience that can be discovered, interpreted, and realized at SeaCompression.

Saturday, Nov 2. 7 p.m. - 2 a.m.
Kings Hall, 2929 27th Ave S
Tickets at http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/464740
Website at http://seacompression.org/

Volunteers wanted! http://seacompression.org/volunteer/

SeaCompression is sponsored by Ignition Northwest and produced by volunteers.
Proceeds help fund large-scale public art projects, an annual scholarship to
the Pratt Fine Art Center, and other educational projects throughout the year."

**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**

{==============================}
{====BLACK ROCK CITY CIVICS====}
{==============================}

**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**

GOOP - GIFTING OUT OF PLACE

You know how when somebody gives you a gift, and you feel obligated to accept
it, even if it's not something you want or need? Maybe you don't want to hurt
the giver's feelings, right? Right.

Whether it's a physical object or not, not every gift is a wanted gift. Be a
good gifter! Be cognizant of your recipient's feelings as you are making your
offering, and do a gut check that you're not GOOPing.

But please ... don't take it from us. Some of the best thinking on the subject
of gifting has been done by our friend Halcyon. Seriously, this is good stuff
... check it out: http://bit.ly/1aq9F59

**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**

{==============================}
{===CONNECT WITH BURNING MAN===}
{==============================}

**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**

The Burning Man Regional Network - connect with Burners in your hometown:
http://regionals.burningman.com

Visit our own Lyceum and engage with published authors, bloggers and thinkers
in and around the Burning Man community as they observe and comment on our
culture and like-minded cultures around the world:
http://blog.burningman.com

The Official Burning Man Facebook Page:
http://www.facebook.com/burningman

Official Burning Man Twitter Account - All Things Burning Man:
http://www.twitter.com/burningman

**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**

{==============================}
{======JRS ADMINISTERRATA======}
{==============================}

**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**

POST REQUESTS
Want your post to be included in an upcoming Jackrabbit Speaks? Fill out this
form: http://bit.ly/jrspostrequest

MORE INFORMATION
For questions: questi...@burningman.com
JRS archive: http://www.burningman.com/blackrockcity_yearround/jrs/

SUBSCRIBE & UNSUBSCRIBE
To subscribe, email: bman-announce-subscr...@burningman.com
To subscribe or unsubscribe on the web, visit
https://lists.burningman.com/mailman/listinfo/bman-announce

Soundtrack for this JRS: Arctic Monkeys, Bombay Bicycle Club, Sleigh Bells