Burning Man Update: The Jack Rabbit Speaks
Volume 18, Issue #6
October 31, 2013

{==============================}
{=======TABLE OF CONTENTS======}
{==============================}

INTRODUCTION

LATEST NEWS:
+ LAST CHANCE TO PROVIDE YOUR FEEDBACK FOR BURNING MAN 2013

ROUND-UP OF BURNING MAN WRITINGS:
+ SCIENTIFIC AMERICAN: SCIENTISTS SHOWCASE THE WONDERS OF THE WORLD AT BURNING
MAN
+ BURNING DOWN THE LIBRARY
+ MY 15 YEARS WITH THAT FLAMING GUY
+ LEARNING GENEROSITY AT BURNING MAN

PHOTOS, VIDEO & AUDIO:
+ HERE, HAVE A HUG FROM EVERYONE ON THE PLAYA
+ LUMINOUS AURORA: 3D PROJECTION MAPPING ON THE TEMPLE OF WHOLLYNESS
+ 3:59 OF PLAYA MOMENTS
+ THE UNICORN STAMPEDE AT BURNING MAN 2013

PARTICIPATE:
+ BURNER PEN PAL PROJECT - CONNECT AROUND THE GLOBE; FIGHT DECOMPRESSION BLUES

SUPPORT A PROJECT:
+ BRING BURNING MAN ART TO THE REAL WORLD: SUPPORT THE AURORA IN PALO ALTO
PROJECT
+ WORK ON A BURNING MAN PROJECT (OR FIND SOMEONE WHO CAN)!

EVENTS AND HAPPENINGS:
+ "COLLABORATIVE COMMUNITY, COLLABORATIVE SPACES" - SAN FRANCISCO, CA - NOV 14
+ YOUTH EDUCATIONAL SPACESHIP LANDS IN VEGAS - LAS VEGAS, NV - NOV 15-DEC 8
+ THE FOUNDERS SPEAK: BURNING MAN, TECHNOLOGY, RELIGION AND THE FUTURE - NEW
YORK, NY - NOV 19
+ ARTUMNAL GATHERING: METAMORPHOSIS - SAN FRANCISCO, CA - NOV 23
+ MPYRE’S TRUE GRIT - MONTEREY, CA - DEC 7

BLACK ROCK CITY CIVICS:
+ HOW TO UNSTUCK A STUCK ZIPPER

CONNECT WITH BURNING MAN:
Burning Man on your favorite social networks

ADMINISTERRATA:

{==============================}
{========INTRODUCTION==========}
{==============================}

**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**

Hello there and happy Halloween! We've got a special event coming up that we
want you to know about ... Larry Harvey (you may have heard of him?) will join
John Perry Barlow and Peter Hirshberg at Columbia University (you may have
heard of it?) for a lively philosophical symposium moderated by Dr. David
Kittay. They'll discuss Burning Man and the 10 Principles, their history, and
their application in the world. This has all the makings of a really
interesting event.

The forum is FREE and will take place on Tuesday, November 19th from 7-9pm at
Columbia University's Altschul Auditorium. The event is open to all but get
there early to make sure you get a spot (or reserve your seat here:
https://burningmanspeaks.eventbrite.com/ ). So, if you're within shouting
distance of New York, be there! (See details below.)

And with that ... onward to this edition of the Jackrabbit Speaks. Enjoy. :-)

The Man burns in 303 days!

**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**

{==============================}
{==========LATEST NEWS=========}
{==============================}

**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**

LAST CHANCE TO PROVIDE YOUR FEEDBACK FOR BURNING MAN 2013

Last chance, kids! If you want your feedback incorporated into our annual
self-assessment and planning process, holla at us now. Email
feedb...@burningman.com before November 1.

**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**

{==============================}
{=====BURNING MAN WRITINGS=====}
{==============================}

**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**

SCIENTIFIC AMERICAN: SCIENTISTS SHOWCASE THE WONDERS OF THE WORLD AT BURNING MAN

Yay science!

"The mobile science exhibit, known as the MicroZoo, is the brainchild of
bioengineer Tristan Ursell, a postdoctoral scholar at Stanford University."

http://bit.ly/19NVQjs

**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**

BURNING DOWN THE LIBRARY

""'Are you really going to burn books on Saturday?'" Sista Turtle Dove said.
"My typical response was, 'Only if there are any left...'""

A thought-provoking story about a provocative art piece, designed to provoke
and challenge your assumptions, and ... wait for it ... provoke thought. Caveat
Magister in the Burning Blog:

http://bit.ly/HpfRU0

[Editor's Note: those nested quotes, while mind-boggling, are in fact correct.]

**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**

MY 15 YEARS WITH THAT FLAMING GUY

"The sad truth is Burning Man is becoming middle-aged and most of the wilder
rumors are akin to an old athlete’s embellished stories about how good it all
used to be."

Long-time Media Mecca volunteer Dennis Hinkamp wrote this nice piece for High
Country News (that's the western United States high country, for those of you
playing at home). And here it is for you to enjoy:

http://www.hcn.org/wotr/my-15-years-with-that-flaming-guy

**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**

LEARNING GENEROSITY AT BURNING MAN

"Burning Man gives me a clearer idea of how to serve in God's kingdom, because
God's reign is not just what happens when you die. It is continuous with the
way we live right now."

The Reverend Dr. Malcolm Clemens Young wrote this nice piece about his
experience of Burning Man for the Huffington Post. (He's got some more in the
hopper that we'll be sharing with you in future JRSs.)

http://huff.to/HpiKV2

**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**

{==============================}
{====PHOTOS, VIDEOS & AUDIO====}
{==============================}

**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**

HERE, HAVE A HUG FROM EVERYONE ON THE PLAYA

Nick and his inflatable heart hit the playa to spread some love...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJ9wLpXLktY

We dare you not to like this li’l video.

**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**

LUMINOUS AURORA: 3D PROJECTION MAPPING ON THE TEMPLE OF WHOLLYNESS

Max Nova sent us this lovely clip:

"A phenomenon washed over The Temple of Whollyness each night, varying with
different themes, all centered around ancient knowledge. This project marks the
first year that 3D projection mapping has ever been seen on the Temple at
Burning Man.

https://vimeo.com/74443778
www.luminousaurora.com"

**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**

3:59 OF PLAYA MOMENTS

Sockaplaya sent us this love note:

"For the 11th consecutive year Black Rock City re-energized me once again with
the power to believe that people can do amazing things. I wrote the score
synced with these images to bring a sense of love, strength and energy to try
and express how each year at Burning Man has made me stronger.

https://vimeo.com/74759828 "

**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**

THE UNICORN STAMPEDE AT BURNING MAN 2013

Super fun ... shots by Tex Allen of the Unicorn Stampede at Burning Man 2013!

http://bit.ly/1c4XJZa

**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**

{==============================}
{=========PARTICIPATE==========}
{==============================}

**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**

BURNER PEN PAL PROJECT - CONNECT AROUND THE GLOBE; FIGHT DECOMPRESSION BLUES

This is nifty. Starbaby writes:

"Have you suffered from decompression blues? Want a chance to stay connected
with someone in your burn community who shares the same love for our Burner
world who may be located somewhere completely across the globe from you? Look
no further! Three Playa pals (2 regional contacts in Texas) have started the
Burner Pen Pal Outreach program. If interested in participating in this snail
mail excitement, please contact us at burnerpen...@gmail.com You can read more
information about the project here:

http://ignite.me/articles/relationships/burner-penpal-project-building-global-community-connection/
 "

**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**

{==============================}
{=======SUPPORT A PROJECT======}
{==============================}

**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**

BRING BURNING MAN ART TO THE REAL WORLD: SUPPORT THE AURORA IN PALO ALTO PROJECT

Do you remember the Aurora sculpture from 2011? Hoo boy, we sure do. (Here,
this will jog your memory: http://bit.ly/1is6xKl) So yeah, let's help get it
placed in the real world, right?! The Aurora Team writes:

"WHAT?
For one afternoon, we are turning Palo Alto's City Hall Plaza into [City Hall]
Playa! Come see the lighting ceremony for Aurora - a 35 foot LED tree sculpture
designed and built by Charles Gadeken for Burning Man.

All Burners are invited to bring their loved ones to this family-friendly
event.  The ceremony will be Saturday, November 16, from 3:00-7:00pm with the
tree lighting at 6pm.

WHY?
Aurora is a fairy tree that re-ignites our childhood imaginations, full of
wonder and endless possibility.  The opalescent willow has over 40,000 LED
lights and hand-beaten copper leaves that chime in the wind. It will be on
display at Palo Alto's City Hall for one year beginning November 16.

This amazing project was spearheaded by two audacious kids whose father shared
photos of Aurora with them after a trip to the playa. They were so inspired by
the work that - at 8 and 6 years old - they petitioned the city of Palo Alto to
bring this amazing piece of art to the denizens of the city.

Please contribute to this incredible project that will bring the beauty and joy
we all find on the Playa to an urban environment.

DONATE NOW:
https://co.clickandpledge.com/advanced/default.aspx?wid=65559 -- all donations
are 100% tax deductible through our fiscal sponsor BRAF.

Thank you,

The Aurora Team - http://www.aurorapaloalto.com/
Like us on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/aurorapaloalto
Follow us on twitter - http://twitter.com/aurorapaloalto "

**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**

WORK ON A BURNING MAN PROJECT (OR FIND SOMEONE WHO CAN)!

Looking for a project on which to utilize your formidable skills? Or need
somebody with said skills to work on YOUR project? Hook up with each other
here:

http://spark.burningman.com

**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**

{==============================}
{=====EVENTS & HAPPENINGS======}
{==============================}

**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**

"COLLABORATIVE COMMUNITY, COLLABORATIVE SPACES" - SAN FRANCISCO, CA - NOV 14

Join us for an evening of discussion and knowledge-sharing about radical
collaboration! Burning Man Project presents:

Collaborative Creativity, Collaborative Spaces
Thursday, November 14
7:00 – 9:00 pm
@ Burning Man Project
660 Alabama Street, 4th Floor, San Francisco (NOTE: New location!)

Effective collaboration is critical to manifesting the large-scale
installations and experiences that have become the hallmark of Burning Man
culture. And it’s just as critical to have access to the kind of physical
spaces that are conducive to these collaborative efforts.

Please join us for an evening of discussion about the ins and outs, ups and
downs of creative collaborations and the places in which they happen. You’ll
hear from artists and place-makers about what works, what doesn’t, best
practices and potential pitfalls.

Featured presenters:

Jess Hobbs, Artist, Flux Foundation
Mike Zuckerman, Place Maker, [freespace]
Tomas McCabe, Executive Director, Black Rock Arts Foundation
Moderated by $teven Raspa, Arts Advocate & Community Events Producer, Burning
Man

Information and Tickets:

For more information and tickets, visit
http://www.eventbrite.com/event/8866274265.

**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**

YOUTH EDUCATIONAL SPACESHIP LANDS IN VEGAS - LAS VEGAS, NV - NOV 15-DEC 8

The Youth Educational Spaceship (Y.E.S.) project is landing in Las Vegas!
Y.E.S. is a mobile spaceship classroom built from repurposed and found objects
by artist Dana Albany, together with kids from San Francisco's Tenderloin and
Hunters Point neighborhoods. This collaborative art program for youth gives
them time and space to create, participate, and then exhibit their work, while
engaging children in hands-on experience focusing on art and technology.

Y.E.S. will be open to the public at the Learning Village, 727 Fremont Street,
starting Friday November 15, with a variety of family-friendly programming
including spaceship tours, mosaic workshops with recycled materials, wiring
demos and interactive robotic demos, culminating in a closing ceremony and
children's art show on December 8. For more information about programming,
please visit: https://ticketcake.com/venue/learning-village/las-vegas.

This program is a collaboration between Burning Man Project
(www.burningmanproject.org) and Las Vegas' Downtown Project
(www.downtownproject.com).

More information on the Burning Blog: http://bit.ly/1hrgcmu

**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**

THE FOUNDERS SPEAK: BURNING MAN, TECHNOLOGY, RELIGION AND THE FUTURE - NEW
YORK, NY - NOV 19

The Burning Man Project is proud to join Columbia University's Department of
Religion and Institute for Religion, Culture and Public Life to present a forum
on Burning Man, technology, religion and the future, featuring panelists Larry
Harvey (founder of Burning Man), John Perry Barlow (founder of the Electronic
Frontier Foundation) and Peter Hirshberg (disruptive cultures and technology
expert).

Dr. David Kittay of Columbia's Department of Religion will moderate a lively
conversation about Burning Man as a philosophical movement, its history, and
its predicted global applications.

This event is free and open to the public. Reserve your seat here:
https://burningmanspeaks.eventbrite.com/

Tuesday Nov. 19th
7-9pm
Altschul Auditorium
Columbia University

(directions: http://www.cs.columbia.edu/theory/directions2.html)

**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**

ARTUMNAL GATHERING: METAMORPHOSIS - SAN FRANCISCO, CA - NOV 23

The Black Rock Arts Foundation presents ...

The Artumnal Gathering: Metamorphosis
Saturday, November 23, 2013
Dinner 6:00 p.m., Main Event 9:45 p.m.

The Bently Reserve
400 Sansome St.
San Francisco, CA 94111

For the last twelve years, BRAF has enjoyed the privilege of working with
artists who are breaking the mold of public art, and who prioritize community
benefit and involvement in their work. We believe in their vision and are
honored to offer them our support.

BRAF is nearing a pivotal moment in our evolution. We recognize that there are
more avenues of growth to be explored, more communities in need of art, and
more connections and collaborations to be nurtured.

Now is the perfect time to recognize our community’s extraordinary artists!
Join us in celebration of our past work and collaborators, and support BRAF’s
future initiatives!

BRAF’s seventh annual gala event includes epicurean delights, sophisticated
libations, tantalizing treats, wondrous pleasures, captivating featured and
roaming live performances, DJ’s, original artwork by BRAF’s favorite artists,
dancing, raffle, gallery art sale, live and silent auction featuring exclusive
experiences and items, and abundant expressions of creativity!

This event sells out! Buy tickets today!

All tickets are 21 and over. Black Rock Arts is a 501(c)3 non-profit. A portion
of your ticket price is tax-deductible.

Buy tickets here: http://blackrockarts.org/events/artumnal-gathering-2013

Please feel free to contact us for more information by emailing
artum...@blackrockarts.org.

**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**

MPYRE’S TRUE GRIT - MONTEREY, CA - DEC 7

True Grit! returns to Monterey for a fabulous full day of engaging art,
spectacular music, joyful dance, captivating fire, energetic fun, and--best of
all--our inspiring Burning Man community!

Saturday, December 7, 2013
10a to 10p
Del Monte Beach | Window on the Bay
699 Del Monte Ave
Monterey CA 93940

True Grit! is the only ongoing Official Regional Burning Man Event in the world
with no boundaries, gates, or admission fee. Located at the main public beach
next to downtown, the City of Monterey generously supports our beach burn every
year, and we love sharing it with the local community and our greater Burning
Man family.

MPYRE invites YOU to bring the spirit of Burning Man and Black Rock City to
Monterey. We as Artists, Musicians, Performers, Volunteers, and Neighbors
together create the connection and community of True Grit. How would YOU like
to participate and share the beauty of Burning Man at Del Monte Beach? Find us
online! We welcome you!

Read Up and Donate at montereyburners.com
Connect and Volunteer through monte...@burningman.com
Join Us on Facebook at tinyurl.com/mpyre

**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**

{==============================}
{====BLACK ROCK CITY CIVICS====}
{==============================}

**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**

HOW TO UNSTUCK A STUCK ZIPPER

OK, here's a dumb one. But when you reeeeally have to pee, and you're
struggling like mad to get that super playafied tent zipper to open, you'll be
like "damn, I should've listened to the Jackrabbit!" (As you pee yourself.)

Put some Chapstick on a stuckified zipper to unstuckify it. You can also use
olive oil.

Bam. This is us, loving you and your craptastic zippers.

**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**

{==============================}
{===CONNECT WITH BURNING MAN===}
{==============================}

**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**

The Burning Man Regional Network - connect with Burners in your hometown:
http://regionals.burningman.com

Visit our own Lyceum and engage with published authors, bloggers and thinkers
in and around the Burning Man community as they observe and comment on our
culture and like-minded cultures around the world:
http://blog.burningman.com

The Official Burning Man Facebook Page:
http://www.facebook.com/burningman

Official Burning Man Twitter Account - All Things Burning Man:
http://www.twitter.com/burningman

Black Rock City Twitter Account - All Things BRC:
http://www.twitter.com/blackrockcity

**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**

{==============================}
{======JRS ADMINISTERRATA======}
{==============================}

**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**

POST REQUESTS
Want your post to be included in an upcoming Jackrabbit Speaks? Fill out this
form: http://bit.ly/jrspostrequest

MORE INFORMATION
For questions: questi...@burningman.com
JRS archive: http://www.burningman.com/blackrockcity_yearround/jrs/

SUBSCRIBE & UNSUBSCRIBE
To subscribe, email: bman-announce-subscr...@burningman.com
To subscribe or unsubscribe on the web, visit
https://lists.burningman.com/mailman/listinfo/bman-announce

Soundtrack for this JRS: Gustav Mahler, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, Antonio Vivaldi