Burning Man Update: The Jack Rabbit Speaks
Volume 18, Issue #9
December 11, 2013

{==============================}
{=======TABLE OF CONTENTS======}
{==============================}

INTRODUCTION

LATEST NEWS:
+ MAKE A YEAR-END DONATION TO THE BURNING MAN PROJECT
+ JOSEPH PRED, BURNING MAN'S EMERGENCY SERVICES OPERATIONS CHIEF MOVES ON
+ WHOOPS

ROUND-UP OF BURNING MAN WRITINGS:
+ 10 PRINCIPLES BLOG SERIES
+ FROM PORTLAND WITH LOVE: A TREEHOUSE IGNITING THE CORE
+ GLASSHOLES AND BLACK ROCK CITY
+ APOLOGIES FROM THE DESERT WITH NO PANTS ON
+ TALES FROM THE PLAYA

PHOTOS, VIDEO & AUDIO:
+ TEMPLE FOR CHRISTCHURCH
+ BURNING MAN FULL SPECTRUM PHOTOGRAPHY WITH A BIT OF ANIMATION
+ PLANET LED & SCULPTURE MAGAZINE
+ COSMIC PERSPECTIVES FROM MICHAEL GARFIELD

PARTICIPATE:
+ SUBMIT YOUR TALE FROM THE PLAYA

SUPPORT A PROJECT:
+ WORK ON A BURNING MAN PROJECT (OR FIND SOMEONE WHO CAN)!

EVENTS AND HAPPENINGS:
+ GRATITUDE*NYC: FUNDRAISER FOR BMP, FIGMENT, BWB - NYC - DEC 14

CONNECT WITH BURNING MAN:
Burning Man on your favorite social networks

ADMINISTERRATA:

{==============================}
{========INTRODUCTION==========}
{==============================}

**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**

OH MY GOD IT'S FREAKING *COLD*. Is it cold where you are? We hear it is. And
while we're admittedly complete weather wussies here in the Bay Area, this time
it's seriously legit cold, and we're taking the opportunity to *really* whine.

So Larry just walked by our desk and told us the art theme for Burning Man 2014
will be "'Sup?". But we don't believe him. The real theme will be released soon
... very … soon. We're told by the end of the year, so hold tight.

Speaking of the end of the year, if you've got some money rattling around in
your pockets, and are looking for a good (tax deductible) way to put it to good
use, consider an end-of-year donation to the nonprofit Burning Man Project ...
help facilitate Burning Man’s expansion from the playa to the planet! See below
for details.

Since it's so dang cold, we've served up a solid serving of quality reading
material in this JRS, so you can snuggle up under something cozy and wrap your
mind around some warm playa memories.

The Man burns in 262 days!

**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**

{==============================}
{==========LATEST NEWS=========}
{==============================}

**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**

MAKE A YEAR-END DONATION TO THE BURNING MAN PROJECT

The mission of the nonprofit Burning Man Project is to bring the values and
learning from Black Rock City to the place it is most needed: our everyday
lives. We envision a world in which self-expression is the norm, where gifting
is a daily practice, and participation is enthusiastic and frequent. And that’s
why we are asking for your contribution to help Burning Man’s expansion from
the playa to the planet.

More and more academic institutions, nonprofits, businesses and municipalities
are looking to learn from the Burning Man experience. They're eager to discover
how we build community and sustainability, and to learn why this powerful
movement has such life-changing impact. And we are eager to share it with them.
To that end, we are busy developing an online learning portal, lectures,
philosophical discussions, and demonstration projects to give everybody access
to Burning Man ideas, values, and resources -- worldwide and year-round.

While a portion of Burning Man's ticket sales help sustain Burning Man
Project's efforts, realizing its full potential will require resources well
beyond that. So we are asking for a contribution of ANY SIZE to help us share
the Burner ethos. If you've always thought the world should be more like Black
Rock City, then this is your chance ... if you can make a donation, we can make
a difference.

All donations are fully tax deductible to the extent allowable by law. If you
are able to donate $150 or more, we are offering a choice of two Burnerific
gifts: the beautiful 2014 Burning Man wall calendar, or a cozy charcoal grey
jersey scarf hand-screened with the Burning Man Project logo.  We can also
accept recurring donations. To donate and choose your gift, please click here:

http://bit.ly/bmpdonate

**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**

JOSEPH PRED, BURNING MAN'S EMERGENCY SERVICES OPERATIONS CHIEF MOVES ON

Joseph Pred, who founded the Emergency Services Department and served as its
Operations Chief, has announced he is moving on after 17 years to focus on his
consulting work. Joseph helped develop the Black Rock Rangers prior to the 1996
event and it was his vision that grew the event’s Emergency Services Department
to a world class organization.

Read more about Joseph's contributions to the Burning Man event and
organization on the Burning Blog:

http://bit.ly/1e3GgFA

**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**

WHOOPS

Having a Google Alert set up for "Burning Man" often offers up some harrowing
articles. But this one from the Georgia Daily News takes the cake:

http://bit.ly/1id1fr6

**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**

{==============================}
{=====BURNING MAN WRITINGS=====}
{==============================}

**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**

10 PRINCIPLES BLOG SERIES

Here are some fine selections from the 10 Principles blog series, cornerstone
of the Burning Man Project's Philosophical Center program. Join the discussion!

http://blog.burningman.com/10principles

Commerce & Community: Distilling Philosophy From a Cup of Coffee
by Larry Harvey
"When most people say that any thing or act is too commercial or has been
commercialized, very few of them mean to say that the practice of commerce is
necessarily bad. Instead, they are expressing the feeling that something
essential — something that should never be bought and sold — has been
commodified. This is why we have always been careful to use the words
'commodify' and 'decommodify'."
http://bit.ly/1fhy2Xm

Why the 10 Principles? Because you never change the world the same way twice
by Caveat Magister
"Exactly what our principles mean when applied to social issues is an enormous
question mark that will first be straightened out by the people applying them."
http://bit.ly/1czmfDu

**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**

FROM PORTLAND WITH LOVE: A TREEHOUSE IGNITING THE CORE

Kendrick writes:

"A summation of one Burner's involvement with a community of strangers in an
effort to create something larger than each of us in picture & word.  If you
found our treehouse on the playa we remain grateful for your participation.

http://bit.ly/18kGwIp "

**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**

GLASSHOLES AND BLACK ROCK CITY

"One photo may be enough to turn a human being into an object. But not taking
one photo might also be enough to turn an object back into a person."

A passionate piece of writing about privacy, consent and the evolving
technological landscape, and how it relates to the experience of Black Rock
City, by Adam Rothstein:

https://medium.com/weird-future/a141f0bfe623

**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**

APOLOGIES FROM THE DESERT WITH NO PANTS ON

We love that there's a SorryWatch website dedicated to "Analyzing apologies in
the news, media, history and literature. We condemn the bad and exalt the
good." (Bless you, internet!) And we love them even more now because they went
to Burning Man and -- naturally -- covered the action going down at Playapology
camp. Really funny (like, actual LOL) post:

http://bit.ly/1clEfxx

**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**

TALES FROM THE PLAYA

We've got a whole slew of new Tales From the Playa up on the Burning Blog --
stories from participants of their Burning Man adventures, experiences and
epiphanies (we hear those happen). They're great to read curled up under a cozy
blanket in these cold months. Enjoy:

http://blog.burningman.com/author/talesfromtheplaya/

**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**

{==============================}
{====PHOTOS, VIDEOS & AUDIO====}
{==============================}

**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**

TEMPLE FOR CHRISTCHURCH

Kyle Kastner writes:

"https://vimeo.com/80164232

This video documents the story of the Temple of Christchurch from the start of
construction through to the burn. Based on the Temple concept from the annual
Burning Man festival in Nevada, this project sought to offer a place for the
community to reflect on and process their thoughts and experiences from the
devastating February 2011 earthquake. Built using recycled timber from
quake-demolished homes, this piece occupied one of the hundreds of vacant lots
in the heart of downtown Christchurch. Citizens were asked to come share their
thoughts and emotions on the walls of the structure, which was eventually
disassembled and taken out of the city for the ceremonial burn.

If you would like to learn more about this project:
http://templeforchristchurch.org/ "

**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**

BURNING MAN FULL SPECTRUM PHOTOGRAPHY WITH A BIT OF ANIMATION

Stits (Editor's Note: don't typo that name don't typo that name don't typo that
name) writes:

"I thought it would be interesting to do something different. I brought camera
equipment modified to capture images not only of the visible light spectrum we
see everyday, but, also in the Infrared and Ultraviolet. This technique is
commonly used for scientific applications such as photographing objects in
space.  It allowed me to see events in unique ways possibly no one else did.
Additionally, I briefly animated a few of the situations where I was shooting
is rapid succession.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stits/sets/72157635577288651/ "

**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**

PLANET LED & SCULPTURE MAGAZINE

This just in from our friend and art maven LadyBee:

"Planet LED: A New Spectral Paradigm, the definitive book on LED technology,
design and art, has finally been published by ORO Editions:
http://www.oroeditions.com//book/planet-led .

Teddy Lo, the author, is an artist and Burner from Hong Kong, who brought the
mutant vehicle/dragon Gon Kirin, featured in the book, to the playa in 2012.

Back in 2008, Teddy asked me to put together a section on LED art at Burning
Man, which I did with Louis Brill; seven of our LED artists are featured in the
book: Mark Lottor, Michael Light, Tim Black, Scott Gasparian, Chris Schardt,
Jeremy Lutes, and Jared Gallardo.

There's also a chapter on Leo Villareal, and one on Anakin Koenig (aka The
Eye), of Disorient, and his inflatable LED projects, including the big orange
Disorient cone.

Also - the current edition of Sculpture Magazine features an interview with Leo
Villareal:  http://sculpture.org/documents/scmag13/nov_13/nov13.shtml.

Leo speaks at length about going to Burning Man back in the mid-90's and being
inspired to created LED art by the darkness and disorienting nature of the
playa."

**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**

COSMIC PERSPECTIVES FROM MICHAEL GARFIELD

Listen to Michael Garfield's talk "Cosmic Perspectives From A Fractal Planet"
from Burning Man 2013:

http://bit.ly/1je1X5m

... and his talk from Center Camp entitled "View From The Horizon: Perspectives
on a New Age" for their "Manufacturing Nostalgia" series:

http://bit.ly/viewfromthehorizon

**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**

{==============================}
{=========PARTICIPATE==========}
{==============================}

**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**

SUBMIT YOUR TALE FROM THE PLAYA

Submit your playa story to our Tales From the Playa series, featured on the
Burning Blog! These are stories from participants of their Burning Man
adventures and experiences. First, read up on the kind of thing we publish:

http://blog.burningman.com/author/talesfromtheplaya/

and then, submit your own:

http://www.burningman.com/blackrockcity_yearround/tales/index.html

**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**

{==============================}
{=======SUPPORT A PROJECT======}
{==============================}

**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**

WORK ON A BURNING MAN PROJECT (OR FIND SOMEONE WHO CAN)!

Looking for a project on which to utilize your formidable skills? Or need
somebody with said skills to work on YOUR project? Hook up with each other
here: http://spark.burningman.com

**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**

{==============================}
{=====EVENTS & HAPPENINGS======}
{==============================}

**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**

GRATITUDE*NYC: FUNDRAISER FOR BMP, FIGMENT, BWB - NYC - DEC 14

The New York Burners write:

"On December 14th, we invite you to experience the divine beauty of your cosmic
reflection with some of your Burning Man Family including your favorite DJ's
and art from the Playa. This year's theme, 'COSMIC MIRRORS,' reminds us we are
all connected. With open hearts and minds we will become cosmic mirrors for one
another, reflecting without judgment and affirming our omnipresent oneness.
Come with an adventurous spirit and a willingness to participate in creating a
transcendent, yet completely grounded experience.

More info: https://www.facebook.com/events/538261179601950/
Get Tickets @ http://tiny.cc/JoinGratitude2013

Gratitude*NYC is created each year as a communal effort benefiting the
NON-PROFIT ORGANIZATIONS that have provided the greatest inspiration to our
community. A significant portion of the proceeds from each event goes to
support FIGMENT, DANCE PARADE, and now, THE BURNING MAN PROJECT, and BURNERS
WITHOUT BORDERS.

For updates on artists, DJs & speakers who will be at Gratitude this year,
subscribe to: http://twitter.com/GratitudeNYC "

**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**

{==============================}
{===CONNECT WITH BURNING MAN===}
{==============================}

**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**

The Burning Man Regional Network - connect with Burners in your hometown:
http://regionals.burningman.com

 Visit our own Lyceum and engage with published authors, bloggers and thinkers
in and around the Burning Man community as they observe and comment on our
culture and like-minded cultures around the world:
http://blog.burningman.com

The Official Burning Man Facebook Page:
http://www.facebook.com/burningman

Official Burning Man Twitter Account - All Things Burning Man:
http://www.twitter.com/burningman

Black Rock City Twitter Account - All Things BRC:
http://www.twitter.com/blackrockcity

**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**

{==============================}
{======JRS ADMINISTERRATA======}
{==============================}

**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**\<>/**

POST REQUESTS
Want your post to be included in an upcoming Jackrabbit Speaks? Fill out this
form: http://bit.ly/jrspostrequest

MORE INFORMATION
For questions: questi...@burningman.com
JRS archive: http://www.burningman.com/blackrockcity_yearround/jrs/

SUBSCRIBE & UNSUBSCRIBE
To subscribe, email: bman-announce-subscr...@burningman.com
To subscribe or unsubscribe on the web, visit
https://lists.burningman.com/mailman/listinfo/bman-announce

Soundtrack for this JRS: Philip Glass, AC Newman, Camera Obscura