[uucdigest]           Sunday, March 12 2000           Volume 03 : Number 424



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
| For all available Digest commands including unsubscribe/subscribe,
| visit the BMW UUC Digest page: http://www.uucdigest.com
| Send SUBMISSIONS to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
| Complaints?  Send 'em to [EMAIL PROTECTED] if you must.
| Visit http://www.bubbaclub.com
| www.bimmers.com - "serving enthusiasts on the 'net"
| Visit http://www.bimmer.org - ultimate BMW bulletin boards!
| Subscribe to the Zionsville Autosport Parts Digest:
|   http://www.zionsvilleautosport.com/majordomo.htm
�����������������������������������������
In this BMW UUC Digest:

       [uuc] Re: foglights or driving lights?
       Re: [uuc] <all> TR Heat Cycling
       [uuc] vibration damper
       [uuc] Fog Lights
       [uuc] Mercedes Headlamp/Park lamp/fog switch
       Re: [uuc] <wob> F1 Qualifying
       [uuc] <WOB> Pilots (not tires) (was: Fog Lights)
       [uuc] 2001 M3
       [uuc] <WTB> E36 '96+ factory BMW changer
       Re: [uuc] Re: foglights or driving lights?
       [uuc] FS: E32 Wheels
       [uuc] Minilites for sale on ebay
       [uuc] Engine Miss
       [uuc] [FS] M brochure with M5 Touring
       [uuc] <E36M3> Brake work question
       [uuc] <M20B25> Pinging/knocking
       [uuc] Random Orbital "Buffer"
       [uuc] The Club
       [uuc] WTB kidney grills for E36

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 03:13:51 EST
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [uuc] Re: foglights or driving lights?

whether you're driving a BMW or Porsche, I think those extra lights near the 
pavements are really more like driving lights.....

foglights used to be yellow, remember?

when I'm on a two lane road, I put the driving lights on, so some fool can 
see me in case he's passing someone.....

or in case I'm passing someone slower.....

I'm amazed how many drivers don't turn lights on when it's rainy or 
overcast.....

if I'm on a divided highway, lights stay off..... I sure don't want to 
attract the attention of an oncoming officer.....

at night, headlights only.....  brights or lows.....

if it's foggy, sure...... why not leave all the lights on.....
if you like, you can hold the lever down, and keep all six lamps lit up, 
and attract all sorts of bugs to your windshield....

Kris in Illinois
99 Durango
97 BMW 750il
92 Porsche 968 coupe tiptronic

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 07:52:23 -0500 (EST)
From: Ned Coonen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [uuc] <all> TR Heat Cycling

Greg -

The 245/45ZR17 Kumhos are mounted on Borbet Type T 17x8 wheels with 38mm
offset. I have K-MAC camber plates up front set to about -2.5 degrees
camber. There is about -2 degrees camber in the rear. I have Bilstien
dampers all around and Euro M3 springs so there is little suspension drop
from stock. I did not roll the front or rear fenders. I have found one small
rub spot on the left front strut spring perch but it took care of itself.

All in all, the 245s fit pretty well on my car and probably would on yours
too.

...ned.
'98 M3
'88 M5

- ------Original Message------
From: "Greg Cernosek" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED], Ned Coonen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: March 11, 2000 12:48:57 AM GMT
Subject: Re: [uuc] <all> TR Heat Cycling


Hey Ned,

What wheels are you running those fat tires on? Do you have to run spacers? 
Did you have to roll the fenders?  I have been running the Toyo RA-1s in
235/45-17 and have been thinking of switching to the 245/45-17 Kumhos.  I
have swapped strut hats on the front and am running about -2.5 degrees
camber.  On the back, about -1.5 degrees camber.  I am currently using the
IFG A5 wheels in 17x8.

What is your setup?

Greg

______________________________________________
FREE Personalized Email at Mail.com
Sign up at http://www.mail.com?sr=mc.mk.mcm.tag001

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 04:28:56 -0800
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [uuc] vibration damper

Attempting to swap out flex disk and tranny shaft seals on 86 528e.
Vibration damper appears ruined, rubber is sheared off.
I have heard it is not necessayr and not to replace it, is this true??
Advice would be welcome as it will save me $150.
Bobby
Folsom  CA

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 09:03:03 -0500
From: "Steve D'Gerolamo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [uuc] Fog Lights

Take a look around you and observe how many BMWs do not actually their
foglights on......
==========================================================
.....and I thought BMW had wired the foglights into the ignition circuit
(as pilot lights) to let the owners know their cars were running. SD

=========================================
Steve D'Gerolamo - The Ultimate Garage
201-262-0412 / [EMAIL PROTECTED] / http://www.ultimategarage.com

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 08:33:44 -0600
From: "Brian Collins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [uuc] Mercedes Headlamp/Park lamp/fog switch

Just reading old emails--hope I'm not flogging a dead horse hear.  Regarding
Luis Marques' comments on the new E class Mercedes light switch having  the
fog switch built in:  All Mercedes have had fogs with the switch combined
with the headlight switch since the late 60s at least---(I'm not sure how
far back).  BTW Luis, when rotating the knob counter clock wise past the 12
o'clock position, if you look more closely, you will note that at 11:00 only
the right side park lamps are on and at 10:00 only the drivers side park
lamps are on.  there is also an amber dot in the middle of the knob that
illuminates when the rear fogs are on, but this was reserved only for
European delivery models.

Brian Collins

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 09:33:10 -0500
From: "Pat Donahue" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [uuc] <wob> F1 Qualifying

25 hours?  Nah.  You've got a typo there.  His speed should have been
130,991 mph.  That'll fix up the discrepancies.

Geeeze

- ----- Original Message -----
From: "Scott D Miller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>


> This is from this morning's Contra Costa Times, quoting the Times Wire
> Service:
>
> "MELBOURNE, Australia - Mika Hakkinen won the pole for the Australian
> Grand Prix with a fast lap of 130.991 mph over the 3,295-mile road
> course."
>
> By my calculations, just one lap would take 25.154 hours.  Now THAT'S
> one hell of a road course!
>
> Scott Miller
> GGC BMW CCA #44977
>

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 10:06:04 -0400
From: Steven Schlossman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [uuc] <WOB> Pilots (not tires) (was: Fog Lights)

At 9:03 AM -0500 3/12/2000, Steve D'Gerolamo wrote:

>.....and I thought BMW had wired the foglights into the ignition circuit
>(as pilot lights) to let the owners know their cars were running. SD

Don't give anyone ideas. <g>
I can see it now. A strobe light on the roof, red light and a green light
on the sides. Headlights always on. You know what they say, see and be seen.

Wait a second. I have seen strobes on cars. I saw one at an autocross. Sure
looked koo-el. <VBG>

Back to the pilot thing. . .
My landing light was always on while in the air because it was a rental.
Landing lights are expensive. Always turned it off on final (except at
night) so not to blind people on the ground. Then again there were plenty
of nights the landing light failed to work even though it worked at
pre-check. So much for rentals and being seen. <g>

..steven

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 10:55:28 EST
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [uuc] 2001 M3

do you think that prices on say 95 m3's will drop slightly once the next generation m3 
arrives?
thanks,
ed
95 318ti

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 09:28:01 -0800 (PST)
From: Chester Wong <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [uuc] <WTB> E36 '96+ factory BMW changer

Anyone have one they'd like to get rid of?  E-mail me price privately at
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Thanks,
Chester

=====

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Talk to your friends online with Yahoo! Messenger.
http://im.yahoo.com

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 11:29:03 -0600
From: John Cash <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [uuc] Re: foglights or driving lights?

At 02:13 AM 3/12/00 , you wrote:
>whether you're driving a BMW or Porsche, I think those extra lights near the 
>pavements are really more like driving lights.....
>
>foglights used to be yellow, remember?

Straight from the bmwusa web site...  "Halogen front foglights".  Fog.  ''f',
'o', 'g', fog.

I hardly think BMW and Porsche are unique in this respect.

Headlights have been orangish, whitish, and now some are bluish... but they are
still headlights, the color's got nithing to do with it; It's the positioning,
aim, and dispersion characteristics.

If there isn't a secret club for people who only use FOGlights when there is
FOG, please start one and sign me up!

[dons his flameproof suit and pulls the foglight shade down over the
faceshield]
[activates the UUC Monitor cloaking device]

John Cash

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 13:03:56 EST
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [uuc] FS: E32 Wheels

I have three 16" E32 7 Series wheels for sale, in very good condition. These 
are just the regular ol' factory alloys off an early 740i. No centers. $35 
each, buyer pays all shipping charges, but I'll meet you within a reasonable 
distance. I'm in Taylor, PA.

This morning, I met a UUC'er from CT in Matamoras, PA for breakfast and a 
smooth parts sale. It was great; the kind of camaraderie BMW CCA and this 
Digest is all about.
Thanks again, Peter!

Mike Miller

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 13:09:36 +0000
From: "Scott Hughey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [uuc] Minilites for sale on ebay

Hey fello UUC'ers;
    Check out my set of minilite wheels for sale at:

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=281963590

Thanks
Scott Hughey

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 13:08:51 EST
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [uuc] Engine Miss

I've got an '84 318i that has me stumped. I'm sure this is coincidental but I 
pulled my radiator to have it rebuilt and once I put everything back together 
it runs extremely poor with a very noticable miss at all RPM ranges. Plugs, 
rotor and cap were all replaced. Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Dennis

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 21:18:16 +0100
From: "Adwo Heintjes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [uuc] [FS] M brochure with M5 Touring

People,

Have a look at:
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=282055016

Thx,

Adwo


===================================================================
De informatie verzonden met dit E-mail bericht is uitsluitend bestemd voor
de geadresseerde. Gebruik van deze informatie door anderen dan de
geadresseerde is verboden. Openbaarmaking, vermenigvuldiging, verspreiding
en/of verstrekking van deze informatie aan derden is niet toegestaan.
Ernst & Young staat niet in voor de juiste en volledige overbrenging van de
inhoud van een verzonden E-mail, noch voor tijdige ontvangst daarvan.
===================================================================
The information contained in this communication is confidential and may be
legally privileged. It is intended solely for the use of the individual or
entity to whom it is addressed and others authorised to receive it. If you
are not the intended recipient you are hereby notified that any disclosure,
copying,  distribution or taking any action in reliance on the contents of
this information is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. Ernst &
Young is neither liable  for the proper and complete transmission of the
information contained in this communication nor for any delay in its
receipt.
===================================================================

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 16:00:28 -0500
From: "Silviu Marghescu" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [uuc] <E36M3> Brake work question

Is there a trick to removing the front brake calipers?  I was in the process
of upgrading the front rotors to the floating type, but couldn't get the two
caliper mounting bolts off.  I don't have a lift, so the car was on jackstands, 
making it quite hard to apply enough force to get them moving.  The torque
spec on these is 81 ft-lb, so they should be tight, but not like this...
The car is only 2 years old, so rust should not be a factor.

Thanks,
Silviu

98 M3
 

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 16:13:24 -0500
From: "Jack Money" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [uuc] <M20B25> Pinging/knocking

Everyone,

I seem to be experiencing some pinging under full throttle in 3rd gear only
upwards of 5.5k.  The plugs are sorta old...~20k.  Since I have a JimC chip
I always burn premium fuel (min 93 octane).  The motor burns a little oil,
maybe 1qt/3k miles....sometimes a bit more sometimes a bit less.  I've
checked for air leaks...can't find any.  What might cause this?  I'm gonna
inspect the plugs shortly here but I wanted to gain some collective wisdom
from the group.

What causes pinging/knocking?  My thoughts are:

1.  Low octane gas
2.  Burning oil (a fair amount)
3.  Air leaks
4.  Bad plugs/improper gapping
5.  ?????

I'd like to learn a thing or two here so I'm hoping to hear from some of you
expert types.  Please help!  Thanks very much.

Good work for Ralph Schumacher and Jenson Button...very respectable finishes
in the Austrailian GP.

Regards,

Jack Money
Motor City Chapter
iX Registry
'89iX ----> Sharked!
E30 ///MPower ----> Evolving
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://skumwerks.net

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 16:04:28 -0500
From: Christian Bernhardt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [uuc] Random Orbital "Buffer"

Does anyone on the digest have any experience with using a random
orbital "polishing machine?"  I'm considering ordering this since the
random action should, in principle, eliminate the swirl marks that can
come with power buffers.

If this actually works without harming the finish, it just might be
worth the $$$.

Private replies are OK.

Thks,  Chris Bernhardt

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 16:13:42 -0500
From: "Duane Collie" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [uuc] The Club

>There's a little club here that is extremely
>exclusive and we would be honored if you would join us. You have been
>carefully screened and selected from thousands of fellow BMW owners by
>stringently adhering to our sole criterion: you do not use your foglights
>*except when it's foggy out*!

Poor'ead/As***n,

HOLY COW.  Didja haveta go and tell about the 75% Parts Discount!!?
<rolling eyes>.  I'm surprised you left out that members don't haveta pay
the seven bucks for lunch at Korman's, either!

Don't you DARE tell them about the benefits to Club Members (dalliances with
HOOTERS wimmen, FREE Beer at over 100 taverns nationwide, Club Box seats at
Lemans, etc.) when you remove your foglights altogether and replace them
with proper ducted brakes.

Now everyone is gonna want in...........Sheeeshhhh.

- - Duane Collie
The Seven Sled

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 13:24:47 -0800
From: Paul <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [uuc] WTB kidney grills for E36

Want To Buy:

Both Left and Right kidney grills for 4door 1995 E36

Please email to: paul @ "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" with price and detail

------------------------------

End of [uucdigest] V3 #424
**************************

_________________________________________
| Please visit these UUC-approved BMW parts vendors/service providers:
| (listed alphabetically)
| Bonneville Motorwerks . http://www.bonnevillemotorwerks.com
| Circle Tire Co. (used & classic BMW parts) e-mail [EMAIL PROTECTED]
| Curry's Auto Service .  http://www.currysauto.com
| Eurosport . http://www.eurosport-hp.com
| Koala MotorSport . http://www.koalamotorsport.com
| Taylor BMW - http://www.taylorbmw.com - Doc Bimmer!
| The Ultimate Garage . http://www.ultimategarage.com
| UUC Motorwerks . http://www.uucmotorwerks.com
| Zionsville Autosport . http://www.zionsvilleautosport.com
����������������������������������������

Reply via email to