[uucdigest]           Sunday, March 12 2000           Volume 03 : Number 425



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
| For all available Digest commands including unsubscribe/subscribe,
| visit the BMW UUC Digest page: http://www.uucdigest.com
| Send SUBMISSIONS to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
| Complaints?  Send 'em to [EMAIL PROTECTED] if you must.
| Visit http://www.bubbaclub.com
| www.bimmers.com - "serving enthusiasts on the 'net"
| Visit http://www.bimmer.org - ultimate BMW bulletin boards!
| Subscribe to the Zionsville Autosport Parts Digest:
|   http://www.zionsvilleautosport.com/majordomo.htm
�����������������������������������������
In this BMW UUC Digest:

       [uuc] Other BMW-based Lists
       Re: [uuc] 2001 M3
       Re: [uuc] <M20B25> Pinging/knocking
       Re: [uuc] FS: E32 Wheels
       [uuc] Re: vibration damper
       [uuc] Re: Engine Miss  84 318i M10                           BA
       Re: [uuc] <M20B25> Pinging/knocking + more
       [uuc] Random Orbital "Buffer"
       [uuc] Re:2001 M3 and '95 prices
       [uuc] Book Report.  BMW by Hartmut Lehbrink
       [uuc] The Trick on brakes
       Re: [uuc] The Trick on brakes
       [uuc] <E30> oil weight, thanks everyone
       RE: [uuc] Book Report wanted...

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 16:27:37 -0500
From: "Duane Collie" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [uuc] Other BMW-based Lists

I've been getting some inquiries for the other, smaller lists that may be of
interest to some of ya'll Car Geeks.  Here's the addresses again:

http://www.onelist.com/group/TheUUCGarage  (Mostly irrelevant, bantering
list full of bimwads.  Every topic is fair game. Not for the faint of heart,
prudes, politically correct, or whiners.  We won't get mad if you're one of
those, we just laugh at you. Current topics (besides cars) are lawn tractors
and satellite dishes.)

http://www.onelist.com/group/BMWCCAtalk (A serious topic list that
discussing the CCA (BMW Car Club of America) and its issues. Turning out to
have some real good discussions on the WHY's and HOW's of the workings of
the CCA.  Highly recommended if you want to see some of the inner workings
of our Car Club or air an issue.)

Both lists are open to all.

- - Duane Collie
The Seven Sled

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 16:47:47 -0400
From: Steven Schlossman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [uuc] 2001 M3

At 10:55 AM -0500 3/12/2000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>do you think that prices on say 95 m3's will drop slightly once the next
>generation m3 arrives?

E36 M3s are already hitting the for sale market as owners' leases expire.
I would think the used car price would drop as people trade their E36 for
an E46. I also think supply in demand will dictate the price.

E30 M3s seem to be fetching more money as the become harder to find.
Supply in demand in action.

...steven


mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]              http://318ti.org
Germantown, MD  ---> Dealer Service comments http://www.servicecounts.net
1998 318ti Arrest Me Red Sport 'FUN2DRV'      National Capital Chapta
w/ open air roof, armrest, pealing lower lip, rear spoiler, Z3 spiral antenna
vented front rotors, kevlar ss brakelines, xbrace, braless, paint chips
Z3 1.9 shift lever w/ lighted knob and euro-intermittent wiper module
My memory is so bad that I get lost on a skid pad. (c) 1999

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 17:43:14 -0500
From: "Gary Derian" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [uuc] <M20B25> Pinging/knocking

If the engine has been running fine, and only recently started pinging,
there could be a buildup of deposits in the combustion chamber.

Gary Derian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>


> Everyone,
>
> I seem to be experiencing some pinging under full throttle in 3rd gear
only
> upwards of 5.5k.  The plugs are sorta old...~20k.  Since I have a JimC
chip
> I always burn premium fuel (min 93 octane).  The motor burns a little oil,
> maybe 1qt/3k miles....sometimes a bit more sometimes a bit less.  I've
> checked for air leaks...can't find any.  What might cause this?  I'm gonna
> inspect the plugs shortly here but I wanted to gain some collective wisdom
> from the group.
>
> What causes pinging/knocking?  My thoughts are:
>
> 1.  Low octane gas
> 2.  Burning oil (a fair amount)
> 3.  Air leaks
> 4.  Bad plugs/improper gapping
> 5.  ?????
>
> I'd like to learn a thing or two here so I'm hoping to hear from some of
you
> expert types.  Please help!  Thanks very much.
>
> Good work for Ralph Schumacher and Jenson Button...very respectable
finishes
> in the Austrailian GP.
>
> Regards,
>
> Jack Money
> Motor City Chapter
> iX Registry
> '89iX ----> Sharked!
> E30 ///MPower ----> Evolving
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> http://skumwerks.net
>

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 17:47:48 -0500
From: "Peter Sterne" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [uuc] FS: E32 Wheels

Wait a minute, you're thanking me?  You sell me a set of practically new wheels
for a song, deliver them an hour or so from your home, and buy me a cup of
coffee ... and you're thanking me?  I can't believe it!  I'd like to thank you
for the great deal, the stories and the cup of coffee.  I concur that this
congenial spirit is what make the uucdigest a community, not just an e-mail
forum.

Regards,
Peter Sterne
'93 325is
'91 Miata SE

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I have three 16" E32 7 Series wheels for sale, in very good condition. These
> are just the regular ol' factory alloys off an early 740i. No centers. $35
> each, buyer pays all shipping charges, but I'll meet you within a reasonable
> distance. I'm in Taylor, PA.
>
> This morning, I met a UUC'er from CT in Matamoras, PA for breakfast and a
> smooth parts sale. It was great; the kind of camaraderie BMW CCA and this
> Digest is all about.
> Thanks again, Peter!
>
> Mike Miller

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 18:28:53 -0500
From: "Brett Anderson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [uuc] Re: vibration damper

Throw it away.


Brett Anderson
www.koalamotorsport.com
Home of the E30 M3 CD-ROM repair manual



> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: [uuc] vibration damper
>
> Attempting to swap out flex disk and tranny shaft seals on 86 528e.
> Vibration damper appears ruined, rubber is sheared off.
> I have heard it is not necessayr and not to replace it, is this true??
> Advice would be welcome as it will save me $150.
> Bobby
> Folsom  CA

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 18:32:09 -0500
From: "Brett Anderson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [uuc] Re: Engine Miss  84 318i M10                           BA

Did the problem start with the radiator job, or the plug/cap/wires job?

Sounds like the plug wires might be mixed up.


Brett Anderson
www.koalamotorsport.com
Home of the E30 M3 CD-ROM repair manual




> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: [uuc] Engine Miss
>
> I've got an '84 318i that has me stumped. I'm sure this is coincidental
but I
> pulled my radiator to have it rebuilt and once I put everything back
together
> it runs extremely poor with a very noticable miss at all RPM ranges.
Plugs,
> rotor and cap were all replaced. Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks.
> Dennis

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 19:03:39 -0500
From: "Jack Money" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [uuc] <M20B25> Pinging/knocking + more

Earlier I wrote:

> Everyone,
>
> I seem to be experiencing some pinging under full throttle in 3rd gear
only
> upwards of 5.5k.  The plugs are sorta old...~20k.  Since I have a JimC
chip
> I always burn premium fuel (min 93 octane).  The motor burns a little oil,
> maybe 1qt/3k miles....sometimes a bit more sometimes a bit less.  I've
> checked for air leaks...can't find any.  What might cause this?  I'm gonna
> inspect the plugs shortly here but I wanted to gain some collective wisdom
> from the group.
>
> What causes pinging/knocking?  My thoughts are:
>
> 1.  Low octane gas
> 2.  Burning oil (a fair amount)
> 3.  Air leaks
> 4.  Bad plugs/improper gapping
> 5.  ?????
>
> I'd like to learn a thing or two here so I'm hoping to hear from some of
you
> expert types.  Please help!  Thanks very much.

Well, I pulled the 1st 2 plugs (closest to the fan) to check'em out...turns
out there's a bunch of oil sitting in the plug chamber (at the base of the
plugs)...the plugs themselves are definately done.  They're coated with a
whiteish powdery type substance, althought when I tried to wipe it off it
seems to be a rather hard particulate.  The electrodes also are warn quite a
bit.  Time for new plugs....it seems they've been in for 25k+.

The thing that concerns me most is the oil build up.  Could a leaking cam
seal cause this?  What about a valve cover gasket?  I changed my VC gasket
twice and cannot get it to seal properly.  I followed all the torque specs
in the Bentley, I cleaned the surfaces very well, and I inspected the gasket
for quality (visual only of course).  Anyone else have VC replacement
problems?  I have another one and will give it another try but I'd really
rather not do it again soon.

Does this motor have head gasket problems?  I have a leak which appears to
be oil seeping from the head/block interface.  It isn't pouring out by any
means but it is getting bigger.  I thought it might be the cam seal or the
VC but I'm not so sure.  I will be checking my cam seal this week as I
suspect it's leaking.  If it isn't maybe there'll be a clue.  Anyone have
any ideas?

I need some expertise here...Brett?  Anyone else?  Thanks for any help!

Regards,

Jack Money
Motor City Chapter
iX Registry
'89iX ----> Sharked!  Weeping
E30 ///MPower ----> Evolving
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://skumwerks.net

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 16:21:46 -0800
From: Polands <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [uuc] Random Orbital "Buffer"

Christian:

I have used both 
a. 49.95 Wen random orbital buffer, and 
b. a real Delta 5" random orbit sander with a foam buffing pad.

result with a. is about as good as you can do by hand.

Result with b. is terrific. Its essentially the same setup that Meguiars
is selling in their super kit, which includes a Porter Cable random
orbit motor.  Don't waste your money on the 49.95 cheapo unit.

As for removing old swirl marks, I thing that is more determined by
exactly what product you are using.  I'm sure others will fill in on
that. 

Steve Poland
'88 535is


Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 16:04:28 -0500
From: Christian Bernhardt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [uuc] Random Orbital "Buffer"

Does anyone on the digest have any experience with using a random
orbital "polishing machine?"  I'm considering ordering this since the
random action should, in principle, eliminate the swirl marks that can
come with power buffers.

If this actually works without harming the finish, it just might be
worth the $$$.

Private replies are OK.

Thks,  Chris Bernhardt

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 19:35:44 -0500
From: Eric Carnell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [uuc] Re:2001 M3 and '95 prices

Ed wrote:
do you think that prices on say 95 M3's will drop slightly once the next
generation m3 arrives?
thanks,
ed
95 318ti

Hi Ed,
        Good question. I noticed a fall in E34 M5 prices after the E39 M5 came
out.  This was simple supply and demand.  The M5 is a relatively rare
car and when all the M5 fanatics bought the new E39, they started
selling off the E34 and the price dropped.  However, the E36 M3 pricing
is not driven so much by a short supply since it is not a rare car,
hence depreciation should continue at the same rate.  However, if the
new M3 comes out and costs more than $50k, looks too much like a "boy
racer" or if it gets panned by Roundel as being too "soft" and too
heavy, many people may decide to hold on to their E36 M3, keeping prices
higher.
- --Eric Carnell, National Capital Chapter
'99 M3 
'95 540iA
'91 M5

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 19:54:06 -0500
From: "Neil Deshpande" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [uuc] Book Report.  BMW by Hartmut Lehbrink

Bill:

I bought the book for $35 at Half Price books and have since seen it similarly 
discounted at B. Dalton, etc.  Call these guys and you'll probably find it.

The book mainly has some excellent photos of pretty much every kind of BMW up to the 
E39 M5.  The X5 is in there too.  For that price I recommend it.  It is a coffee table 
book with text in three languages that is accurate and too the point without too much 
tech. detail.

Neil Deshpande
1988 325 iS
1989 325 iC

***

Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2000 20:04:36 -0000
From: "BMW Bits" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [uuc] Book Report wanted...

Anyone got a copy of a book entitled BMW by Schlegelmilch & Lehbrink
(Konemann Publishing ) ?/ What's your opinion ? Is it avail in US ? How much
?   Sounds as if it might be a 'coffee table ' book ???

Also ...Anyone have experience with Books by Mercian Manuals in UK ? They
put out a 'handbook' on BMW 3-series (316/18/20/23i ) but I can find NO
content description anywhere.....It's rather 'spendy' if it doesnt have much
tech info in it ....Opinions anyone ??

Offline replies pls to save WOB

Bill Proud in Seattle

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 20:26:50 -0500
From: "Duane Collie" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [uuc] The Trick on brakes

>Subject: [uuc] <E36M3> Brake work question
>
>Is there a trick to removing the front brake calipers?  I was in the
process
>of upgrading the front rotors to the floating type, but couldn't get the
two
>caliper mounting bolts off. The torque
> spec on these is 81 ft-lb, so they should be tight, but not like this...

Yep.  The trick is to have a 1/2" breaker bar with the appropriate socket,
which on the M3 is 18mm as I recall (may be 16mm), also 1/2" drive.  Then
you have at it.

You don't actually think they use a torque wrench to go to 81 ft-lb at the
assembley line, do ya? <g>

- - Duane Collie
The Seven Sled, but a veteran of M3 brake swaps

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 20:55:07 -0500
From: "Gary Derian" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [uuc] The Trick on brakes

I fully expect the assembly guys to use a torque wrench on brake
attachments.  In fact, these days, they should use wrenches that are air
powered and compare torque and turns to check the joint better than a mere
torque wrench can.  The tools should be checked for torque at least once per
shift.

Gary Derian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>
> You don't actually think they use a torque wrench to go to 81 ft-lb at the
> assembley line, do ya? <g>
>
> - Duane Collie
> The Seven Sled, but a veteran of M3 brake swaps
>

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 21:08:12 EST
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [uuc] <E30> oil weight, thanks everyone

Dear Digesters,

Just want to post a note of thanks to Mike, Don, Brandon, John and Dana for 
their responses to my oil weight question.  Sounds like I'll be okay with 
15-40 until the summer, when I'll switch to 20-50.  

Thanks again,

Michael Su
1991 325ic

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 21:36:01 -0500
From: "Karl Zemlin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RE: [uuc] Book Report wanted...

I bought this book in London (Harrods).  Definitely coffee table material,
but I like the book.  It is pretty current with information on the Z3 and
X5.  I don't recall what I paid, but it was very reasonable.  It is not all
inclusive - there is nothing on the e28.  It has good history of BMW,
starting with a "Wartburg Motorwagen" from 1898.

Photography is good.  It touches on racing, M cars, etc.

I like it.

Karl Zemlin
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
BMWCCA 82366
Indianapolis


> -----Original Message-----
> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of BMW Bits
> Sent: Saturday, March 11, 2000 3:05 PM
> To: Uucdigest; S6R S6R; Senior Six Digest; E9coupes BMW; E21 Digest;
> Coupe Group
> Subject: [uuc] Book Report wanted...
>
>
> Anyone got a copy of a book entitled BMW by Schlegelmilch & Lehbrink
> (Konemann Publishing ) ?/ What's your opinion ? Is it avail in US
> ? How much
> ?   Sounds as if it might be a 'coffee table ' book ???
>
> Also ...Anyone have experience with Books by Mercian Manuals in UK ? They
> put out a 'handbook' on BMW 3-series (316/18/20/23i ) but I can find NO
> content description anywhere.....It's rather 'spendy' if it
> doesnt have much
> tech info in it ....Opinions anyone ??
>
> Offline replies pls to save WOB
>
> Bill Proud in Seattle
>
>

------------------------------

End of [uucdigest] V3 #425
**************************

_________________________________________
| Please visit these UUC-approved BMW parts vendors/service providers:
| (listed alphabetically)
| Bonneville Motorwerks . http://www.bonnevillemotorwerks.com
| Circle Tire Co. (used & classic BMW parts) e-mail [EMAIL PROTECTED]
| Curry's Auto Service .  http://www.currysauto.com
| Eurosport . http://www.eurosport-hp.com
| Koala MotorSport . http://www.koalamotorsport.com
| Taylor BMW - http://www.taylorbmw.com - Doc Bimmer!
| The Ultimate Garage . http://www.ultimategarage.com
| UUC Motorwerks . http://www.uucmotorwerks.com
| Zionsville Autosport . http://www.zionsvilleautosport.com
����������������������������������������

Reply via email to