[uucdigest]         Wednesday, March 15 2000         Volume 03 : Number 442



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
| For all available Digest commands including unsubscribe/subscribe,
| visit the BMW UUC Digest page: http://www.uucdigest.com
| Send SUBMISSIONS to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
| Complaints?  Send 'em to [EMAIL PROTECTED] if you must.
| Visit http://www.bubbaclub.com
| www.bimmers.com - "serving enthusiasts on the 'net"
| Visit http://www.bimmer.org - ultimate BMW bulletin boards!
| Subscribe to the Zionsville Autosport Parts Digest:
|   http://www.zionsvilleautosport.com/majordomo.htm
�����������������������������������������
In this BMW UUC Digest:

       Re: [uuc] Radar Detectors..
       [uuc] Parts FS
       [uuc] Size matters?
       RE: [uuc] Radar Detectors..
       Re: [uuc] Radar Detectors..
       [uuc] Re: first radar detector
       RE: [uuc] Status of S52 Engine in M Coupe
       [uuc] RE: [uucdigest] V3 #440
       Re: [uuc] Re: Cargo nets (we're WOBing now!)
       [uuc] Strange people these UUC people.. :-)
       RE: [uuc] Re: differential question
       [uuc] VA Reckless Tickets
       [uuc] Re: [uucdigest] V3 #438
       [uuc] Re: Carbotech Panther pads for E36 M3

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 21:25:57 -0500
From: Don Eilenberger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [uuc] Radar Detectors..

At 04:10 PM 3/14/00 -0500, Joe Walsh wrote:
>> What was the first automotive radar detector sold in the USA?
>> What year(s) was it made?
>> How much did it sell for (retail)?
>
>Not knowing how old Don currently is, venturing a guess, could 
>it be a SuperSnooper from the late seventies.
>
>Joe

Nope.. SuperSnooper was just a johnny-come-lately..


Don Eilenberger, Spring Lk Hts, NJ JMP#1  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
NJ Shore BMW Riders web page: http://www.monmouth.com/~deilenberger
"You're absolutely right, and I apologize" --Darryl Richman
"Silly me... I apologize."  --Tim Hall  "Sorry..."  --Magwa

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 21:37:40 -0500
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [uuc] Parts FS

E30 M3:

Fr and Rr sway bars E30 M3                      $100
OE door sills E30 M3                            $30
Alpha N intake system 27 hp bolt on upgrade     $500
Stock Wheels w/ Center caps E30 M3              $800
E30 M3/325i Oil filter housing repair kit               $3
Used  60K Plug wires                            $20

E30 325i Parts:

K&N cone filter w/ bracket E30 325i     $125
Alpine White Door handles               $20
OEM Fr. sway bar bushings  (new)        $10     
OEM Rr. sway bar bushings (new) $10
Water Pump Gasket (new)         $3

E36 M3 Parts:

Larger Euro air box & filter only, no adapter   $150
Stock HFM and intake E36 M3                     $100
Stock chip E36 M3                               $50
Clear side signal lens (2)                      $25
Clear Fr. signal lens (2)                               $40
OEM side signal lens (2)                        $20
OEM Fr. signal lens (2)                         $30
OEM Rr. Tail light assembly (2)                 $125

E28:

Sunroof deflector                               $25

All parts + shipping from Knoxville, TN 37919

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 18:55:47 -0800
From: Herman Chan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [uuc] Size matters?

This talk of alternators piques my curiosity:  what is the criteria 
used to spec a particular size for a particular car?

Take for example, the early E36s

105A/1470W for 318s (w/65 Ah battery)

80A/1120W for 325s (w/75 Ah battery)

140A/1960W for 325 automatics (w/75 Ah battery)

I've always assumed that battery and alternator size was determined 
by the total load imposed by the electrical systems in the car -- 
bigger for more.  That's why you see those nifty gold plated 
bazillion amp alternators sold to car audio nuts with their rolling 
subwoofers.

So why then would the 318 have a bigger alternator than the 325 when 
it has fewer power sapping gizmos?  And why would an automatic need 
that much more juice than a stick?

Anyone know the logic behind this?  Perhaps some secret algorithm 
balanced between electrical load, alternator and battery size?

Herman
crappy 105A Valeo

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 21:56:30 -0500
From: Don Eilenberger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RE: [uuc] Radar Detectors..

Mo guesses:

>Don,
>
>Would that be the Fuzzbuster?  Made about 1972 or 73 in Troy, OH (north
>of Dayton) by Dale Smith.  I met him and was told he used to make radar
>units for the police.  One day he received a citation (ticket) from a
>friendly cop.  Smith said he wasn't speeding.......that the cop wasn't
>operating the unit correctly and wouldn't listen to Smith when informed
>of his error.
>
>Smith vowed he would fix the cops............hence the Fuzzbuster.
>
>Mo

Nope. Mine was elderly by the time the Fuzzbuster showed up..


Don Eilenberger, Spring Lk Hts, NJ JMP#1  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
NJ Shore BMW Riders web page: http://www.monmouth.com/~deilenberger
"You're absolutely right, and I apologize" --Darryl Richman
"Silly me... I apologize."  --Tim Hall  "Sorry..."  --Magwa

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 22:01:43 -0500
From: Don Eilenberger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [uuc] Radar Detectors..

Jeff guesses:

>From: "Jeff B." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Subject: Re: [uuc] Radar Detectors..
>
>It's gotta be the FuzzBuster for sure. They went for $100 approx. 1974.
>Jeff Becht  95 M3/2

Nope. Sorry.

Found the original catalog I bought it from.. (I never throw
anything out..)

Hint: Lafayette Radio

Another hint: Battery operated. 2 mercury batteries.


Don Eilenberger, Spring Lk Hts, NJ JMP#1  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
NJ Shore BMW Riders web page: http://www.monmouth.com/~deilenberger
"You're absolutely right, and I apologize" --Darryl Richman
"Silly me... I apologize."  --Tim Hall  "Sorry..."  --Magwa

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 22:33:59 -0500
From: Don Eilenberger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [uuc] Re: first radar detector

At 07:30 PM 3/14/00 PST, bob thomas wrote:

>It may have been the bear finder-I had one. But I believe the fuzzbuster 
>preceded it. Bob Thomas '74 '02

Nope..

Next hint:

Was available built or in kit form..


Don Eilenberger, Spring Lk Hts, NJ JMP#1  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
NJ Shore BMW Riders web page: http://www.monmouth.com/~deilenberger
"You're absolutely right, and I apologize" --Darryl Richman
"Silly me... I apologize."  --Tim Hall  "Sorry..."  --Magwa

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 14:50:51 +1100
From: "Thomas, Andrew j" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RE: [uuc] Status of S52 Engine in M Coupe

Don Wrote:

>>FWIW - reports I've seen (no actual road tests) indicate
>>that the new engine will not improve (or make major diff)
>>0-60 times, but will help top end - which is of no use
>>in the USA.

Well, strictly we should probably wait until the car is tested. No doubt the
extra power could help the top end. Then Josh([EMAIL PROTECTED])
writes:

> I'd be surprised if 100 extra ponies wouldn't make a 
> noticeable change in a car.  

The 321 bhp cars are broadly matched with the 240 bhp cars, taking an
average of all the road tests, but above 80 mph they pull away. If the same
gearing is used everywhere, I don't imagine the 340 bhp car will be that
much quicker than the existing 240 bhp one to 80 mph. Unless the gearing is
altered again, allegedly to suit US conditions.

Speaking of "gearing suitable for US conditions" - I find rather difficult
to understand this. Outside of small sections of German autobahn, just about
all countries have speed limits. Amongst other countries which get the 321
bhp motor, Australia is limited in dreadfully draconian fashion to 68 mph. I
have travelled much faster on the freeways of California than I ever have in
New South Wales. Yet the more expensive car is sold in Oz, where the cheaper
US car would be much more appropriate (if only they would make it in RHD). 

Andy T

"This email is intended only for the use of the individual or entity 
named above and may contain information that is confidential and 
privileged.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby 
notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this 
email is strictly prohibited.  When addressed to our clients, any 
opinions or advice contained in this email are subject to the terms 
and conditions expressed in the governing KPMG client engagement 
letter.  If you have received this email in error, please notify us 
immediately by return email or telephone +61 2 9335 7000 and destroy 
the original message.  Thank you."

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 19:53:44 -0800
From: "Lisa V. Ferrari" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [uuc] RE: [uucdigest] V3 #440

Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 16:07:42 -0800
From: "Scott D Miller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [uuc] Re: Cargo nets

>Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 13:43:25 -0500
>From: "Tim Taylor" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Subject: [uuc] Re: Cargo nets
>
>>>I was in a friends garage a couple years ago and I spotted a
>>>big box with about 50 cargo nets in it.  I asked him where
>>>he got them all and he said that he travels a couple times a
>>>month and finds them in the trunks of the GM cars he rents.
>>>I dug through the box and found a double sided one for the
>>>Range Rover tailgate and a couple regular ones for the Range
>>>Rover load area and the M5 trunk.
>
>I don't want to get all moralistic and stuff, but how is this any different
>than walking into your local stealer, opening the trunk of a car on the
>showroom and taking the net?
>
>Tim T

Well, in one case you're probably getting back at the dealer who has been
"ripping you off" for all of these years.  In the other case, you're
inconveniencing a bunch of innocent, needy travelers who's luggage will get
all
banged up and broken from sliding around all over the trunk with nothing to
restrain it.

But you're right, Tim, they're both stealing.

Boy, we get some good ones on this Digest, don't we?  Wrecking cars on test
drives, plowing up the school yard turning donuts, stealing cargo nets -
what
next, ripping off the Girl Scouts selling cookies in front of the grocrey
store?

Scott Miller
GGC BMW CCA #44977

Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 16:07:42 -0800
From: "Scott D Miller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Boy, we get some good ones on this Digest, don't we?  Wrecking cars on test
drives, plowing up the school yard turning donuts, stealing cargo nets -
what
next, ripping off the Girl Scouts selling cookies in front of the grocrey
store?

Scott Miller
GGC BMW CCA #44977

Scott,

I told you already that all the charges were dropped.  Geez.

Lisa

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 20:32:50 -0800
From: Jim Ochi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [uuc] Re: Cargo nets (we're WOBing now!)

At 05:15 PM 3/14/00 -0800, John Bolhuis wrote:
>
>And of course, Jim "the organ harvester" Ochi is right behind me.  I
>can usually hear him shouting something like "Daddy needs a new set of
>coilovers!!" or something like that.
>

John - 

Please get this straight.  I don't harvest organs from Girl Scouts to fund
my upgrades.  I can get more from pimping them out on the street,
especially if they're wearing their uniforms.  The funny thing is (ObBMW
content) they report that their main customer is this guy in a Laguna Green
BMW E30 convertible, who pays them to pelt him with small gherkins...

Jim "A couple more cases of pickles, and I'll be able to get an E46M3..." Ochi
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 23:36:22 -0500
From: Don Eilenberger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [uuc] Strange people these UUC people.. :-)

(So first I sent this to the wrong list - the real BMW one - two
wheeled one.. bet they're really wondering what UUC stands for.. :-)

> Yes, but invariably I forget what I was figuring out, as I am soon
>standing in sort of sun-god robes, on a pyramid, with a thousand naked
>women screaming and throwing little pickles at me.  ...Am I the only
>one that has that dream? 
>
>- --
>  John Bolhuis

Yours is a very strange dream John - the usual male dream is the 
male standing on the pyramid, starkers with a thousand clothed 
women laughing and pointing at little pickles..

Wish I had the sun-god dream once in a while instead..


Don Eilenberger, Spring Lk Hts, NJ JMP#1  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
NJ Shore BMW Riders web page: http://www.monmouth.com/~deilenberger
"You're absolutely right, and I apologize" --Darryl Richman
"Silly me... I apologize."  --Tim Hall  "Sorry..."  --Magwa

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 22:44:59 -0500
From: "John Van Houten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RE: [uuc] Re: differential question

John-

You're quite the "Real Genius"...

>Yes, but invariably I forget what I was figuring out, as I am soon
>standing in sort of sun-god robes, on a pyramid, with a thousand naked
>women screaming and throwing little pickles at me.  ...Am I the only
>one that has that dream? 

John "I can hammer a 9 inch spike through a board" Van Houten

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 23:50:40 -0500
From: "Duane Collie" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [uuc] VA Reckless Tickets

>If she is going to plead guilty, get a copy of her driver's record (DMV, I
>think) and take it with you to court.

They already have it. Save your $ 5.00!

>That way the judge will know that she
>has been a good girl the last two years and qualifies for the driver's
safety
>school (the court's computer systems are not always on line). Make it clear
>to the commonwealth's attorney that you would like the safety school if you
>plead guilty.

This is not really good advice on a Reckless Driving Charge in Virginia.
Don't gamble with a gambit....this is a CRIMINAL CHARGE in our fair state
and a Misdemeanor Offense punishable with up to a $ 2,000.00 fine and 6
months in jail.  You won't be going to traffic court.....yer goin' to
criminal court (admittedly little criminals like spousal battering, habitual
drunk drivers, petty thieves and the like...but no stop sign runners).  You
have basically ONE CHANCE to get this reduced to a Improper Driving Charge,
a 4-point / $ 150 traffic offense, which the judge may or may not do
depending on how well you plea-bargined with the county's procecuting
attorney before ya'll sat down that morning. Screw it up and
you....ta-da....have a criminal record.  An attorney is going to cost you
about $ 500.00 to get you out of it....but that's your best bet if you want
to max. your chances.

Gee.....get the feeling I've done this?  <g>

- - Duane Collie
The Seven Sled

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 23:01:40 -0600
From: "Ron Farrell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [uuc] Re: [uucdigest] V3 #438

First radar detector sold in the US?
I think it was called a Radar Sentry.
Little self contained unit that clipped on the sunvisor.
White face with gray or tan sides, maybe?
Been a long time, I think late 50's to early 60's.
Sold for $29.95 retail. :-)

*********** REPLY SEPARATOR  ***********


Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 15:13:55 -0500
From: Don Eilenberger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [uuc] Radar Detectors..

OK - with all this chat on VI's and all that modern stuff..

A challenge:

What was the first automotive radar detector sold in the USA?
What year(s) was it made?
How much did it sell for (retail)?

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 00:03:22 EST
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [uuc] Re: Carbotech Panther pads for E36 M3

These pads are highly recommended by me.  I am currently using the Panther's 
up front and in the rear the lower-temp green "kelated-metallic" Carbotech's 
on my Z3 coupe.  They have awesome grip/modulation ratio; a bit dusty and 
occasional squeal for everyday use.  Max trailbraking is a cinch with them; 
makes you look like a pro.

M Sipe

<< We have a set of Carbotech Panther brake pads for sale for an E36 M3.  They
 are front pads only, 80%, $135 new.  They grip as well as a Hawk Blue,
 easier to modulate, minimal rotor wear.  We bought them to use on a car we
 had briefly for a driver's school and no longer have the car.  Price is $100
 OBO.
 
 James
 
 http://www.bimmerworld.com
 Quality Used BMW Parts
 Engineered BMW Performance
 (540) 639-9648
  >>

------------------------------

End of [uucdigest] V3 #442
**************************

_________________________________________
| Please visit these UUC-approved BMW parts vendors/service providers:
| (listed alphabetically)
| Bonneville Motorwerks . http://www.bonnevillemotorwerks.com
| Circle Tire Co. (used & classic BMW parts) e-mail [EMAIL PROTECTED]
| Curry's Auto Service .  http://www.currysauto.com
| Eurosport . http://www.eurosport-hp.com
| Koala MotorSport . http://www.koalamotorsport.com
| Taylor BMW - http://www.taylorbmw.com - Doc Bimmer!
| The Ultimate Garage . http://www.ultimategarage.com
| UUC Motorwerks . http://www.uucmotorwerks.com
| Zionsville Autosport . http://www.zionsvilleautosport.com
����������������������������������������

Reply via email to