[uucdigest]          Tuesday, March 14 2000          Volume 03 : Number 441



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
| For all available Digest commands including unsubscribe/subscribe,
| visit the BMW UUC Digest page: http://www.uucdigest.com
| Send SUBMISSIONS to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
| Complaints?  Send 'em to [EMAIL PROTECTED] if you must.
| Visit http://www.bubbaclub.com
| www.bimmers.com - "serving enthusiasts on the 'net"
| Visit http://www.bimmer.org - ultimate BMW bulletin boards!
| Subscribe to the Zionsville Autosport Parts Digest:
|   http://www.zionsvilleautosport.com/majordomo.htm
�����������������������������������������
In this BMW UUC Digest:

       [uuc] Doh! (Was How do I break into my E36?)
       RE: [uuc] Radar Detectors
       [uuc] <E36 M3>  Carbotech Panther Pads FS
       [uuc] (no subject)
       [uuc] <E36> H&R Sports package Springs for sale.
       Re: [uuc] Re: differential question
       [uuc] <FS> M3 Contour Wheels, price reduce
       [uuc] Radar question
       [uuc] Re: Cargo nets (we're WOBing now!)
       Re: [uuc] Alternators
       [uuc] breaking into a BMW
       [uuc] [all] Sell of Rover?
       Re: [uuc] Euro E34 M5 in L.A.
       [uuc] Re: E46 M3 at Sebring
       [uuc] [WTT] '96 328ti for '88 M5/535iS
       Re: [uuc] Re: Cargo nets (a WOBing we will go..)
       [uuc] <WOB> the small car that pollutes more
       [uuc] Re: Radar question

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 16:14:03 -0800
From: "Scott D Miller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [uuc] Doh! (Was How do I break into my E36?)

Um, apparently I have failed to completely read and understand a post before I
responded.  Sorry about that.  I thought our buddy Jonathan was trying to get
into his own car without using the remote or something.  His question was
actually hypothetical.  I agree with the other Digestors who said that we should
not go there.

Scott Miller
GGC blah blah blah

> Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 04:37:58 -0500
> From: "VITOLO_JONA"@LNMTA.bentley.edu
> Subject: [uuc] How do I break into my E36?
>
> I remember last week someone was posting about how to break
> into E36's. I was
> playing around on my car tonight and I got as far as popping
> the hood and
> getting to the fusebox. What would they do next? Obviously
> the car would be
> locked. Wouldnt pulling the fuse make the system inoperable?
> Which fuse is it_i
> saw 7, 36, and 43. What do you do from that point?
>
> Thanks in advance
> Jonathan
>

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 19:09:09 -0500
From: Ron Katona <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RE: [uuc] Radar Detectors

One more V1 story...

I removed my V1 from my 318ti at an NCC autocross two years ago and
placed it in a plastic bag with various other items from inside the car.
Being the wonderful cone killer I am, I ran over the bag while backing
into the parking spot after one of my runs. You got it... nailed the V1.
At that time, it was about two months old. Thoughts of $400 flying out
the window ran through my horrified helmeted head.

Results? The V1 was shaken, but not stirred. Unlike brand-X, the V1 has
a solid METAL case and survived with only a broken plastic volume knob
and a few scratches where the case ripped through the plastic bag and
scraped along the pavement (in case you thought it was just a glancing
blow). It's worked fine ever since.
- --
Ron Katona

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 19:14:42 -0500
From: "James Clay" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [uuc] <E36 M3>  Carbotech Panther Pads FS

We have a set of Carbotech Panther brake pads for sale for an E36 M3.  They
are front pads only, 80%, $135 new.  They grip as well as a Hawk Blue,
easier to modulate, minimal rotor wear.  We bought them to use on a car we
had briefly for a driver's school and no longer have the car.  Price is $100
OBO.

James

http://www.bimmerworld.com
Quality Used BMW Parts
Engineered BMW Performance
(540) 639-9648

Please copy original message text in all correspondences.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 19:22:07 EST
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [uuc] (no subject)

 I am cross posting this note and hope no one is offended because I expect 
that many of you su*scribe to both the general and the '02 specific lists.
   I am at the point that either my absolutely cherry '73 2002 or my 95 M3 
must go.  The '02 is very nearly a show car and I hesitate to drive it much, 
though I am tempted!  The M3 is mechanically excellent with a nearly perfect 
interior but the exterior paint is faded (no body damage, however).
   I would like to hear from anyone interested in either car.  I can supply 
full particulars.  The '02 will not be cheap but could be a real bargain for 
a serious collector or someone that wants an outstanding round tail light car 
without the hassle and horrendous expense of restoration.  The M3 will be 
priced most fairly considering the mileage and paint condition.  One or the 
other must go soon.
   Please respond off list.
         Cheers,
             Ben White 

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 16:27:04 -0800
From: "James Lin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [uuc] <E36> H&R Sports package Springs for sale.

Used set of H&R Sports package springs for all E36 325is or 328is.  They are
blue in color and are powder coated.  In perfect condition without any rust.
One of the better lowering springs to use for your E36.

Comes in original box.  $140 + split shipping.

E-mail me privately if interested.  Thanks.

James
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 19:34:54 -0500
From: "Gary Derian" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [uuc] Re: differential question

A differential gear is a planetary gear set where the sun gear and ring gear
are the same size.  As a result they are side by side.  The planet carrier
is attached to the ring gear.

Gary Derian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>



> Thanks to all who responded to my earlier post.  I now have a fairly
> good idea of how a differential works.  It was pointed out to me that
> on LSDs, the clutch pack obscures the inner workings of the diff gears.
>  I'll look inside my old (non-LSD) diff when I get it out.
>
> For all those who were also curious, here's how a diff works:
>
> 1) driveshaft torque is turned 90-degrees by the ring & pinion gears
>
> 2) ring gear is attached to a housing, which has a planetary gear (a
> shaft with two gears on either end at a 90-degree angle to the center
> of rotation) inside
>
> 3) planetary gear drives two gears which are attached (ultimately) to
> the wheels
>
> In straight-ahead driving, the planetary gear just drives the two wheel
> gears at the same speed.  When you go around a corner, the planetary
> gear rotates with respect to the wheel gears, allowing the wheels to
> travel at different speeds.
>
> As an aside, I figured out how to make a diff while I was falling
> asleep last night.  It wasn't exactly the same as the above
> description, but it did involve planetary gears and such.  Do normal
> people figure out how to make stuff while they're falling asleep?
>
>     KC Boyce
>     '85 325e
>     E30 Eta Page: http://rikki.coloradocollege.edu/~k_boyce
> __________________________________________________
> Do You Yahoo!?
> Talk to your friends online with Yahoo! Messenger.
> http://im.yahoo.com

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 16:44:02 PST
From: "Perry Shang" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [uuc] <FS> M3 Contour Wheels, price reduce

Hi, all:
     This is my third time and the last time trying to sell my set of M3 
wheels.  They are 7.5x17 on all four corners.  they are straight and true.  
It does have some minor scratches on the lip due to mounting summer and snow 
tires often.  The wheels does not have tires on them.

I will let them go for $800 plus shiping or best offer, please help me clean 
up my garage, my gf is curious on what's in the boxes already.  (True UUC 
spirit).  I can ship out any time.

Photos available upon request.

Perry.
ps. Go BMW Williams F1 team.  They were awesome this weekend.




______________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 19:46:11 EST
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [uuc] Radar question

Fuzzbuster?

1974?

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 17:15:24 -0800 (PST)
From: John Bolhuis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [uuc] Re: Cargo nets (we're WOBing now!)

On Tue, 14 Mar 2000, Scott D Miller wrote:

> Boy, we get some good ones on this Digest, don't we?  Wrecking cars
> on test drives, plowing up the school yard turning donuts, stealing
> cargo nets - what next, ripping off the Girl Scouts selling cookies
> in front of the grocrey store? 

That reminds me, I've got a whole backseat load of Girl Scout cookies
I need to unload.  Man, those flimsy little tables they use barely
even scratch my bumper.  About 20mph is the magic speed.  I smack the
table (my convertible top is down) and the cookies fly upwards.  At
least half of the boxes land right in my back seat.  I got mostly thin
mints this last time for some reason.

And of course, Jim "the organ harvester" Ochi is right behind me.  I
can usually hear him shouting something like "Daddy needs a new set of
coilovers!!" or something like that.


- --
  John Bolhuis  | "In America it is not considered to be mentally ill
 bolhuijo       | when a woman advances on her prey in a discotheque
  @bolhuijo.com | setting with hardy cocktails present."
                |                                      -Madonna

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 20:19:33 -0500
From: Andrew Messer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [uuc] Alternators

>Remember if you don't "need" a bigger alternator (extra
>lights, big stereo etc.) a bigger alternator will just be a
>drain on the engine and you will have slightly less power
>and use slightly more gas (something to think about with gas
>in SF at $2.15/gal).
>
> Kevin Kelly
>

>>
>>I disagree.  Alts load on an engine is related to the load the regulator puts
>>on the alt.  The load on the engine with a 120A alt is similar to a 80A alt at
>>the same electrical load.  The drawbacks are weight and size.
>>
>>- -John

Actually, I believe you are both right, sort of...
Kevin is right in saying more amps = less engine power (out).  It goes back to
the old saying, you can't get something for nothing.  Power consumption (engine
HP) is going to be greater when you have more demands (anyone remember the
undersize pulley thread awhile back???).
HOWEVER, the HP lost is based on the power consumption curves for the two
alternators at a given speed.  I just compared an alternator that can supply
either 12V/105A or 12V/130A (two different alternators, same alternator family).
Comparing the two curves at the same speed gives a HP difference of only 0.53
HP.  I'm pretty sure most of us can't feel 5 HP, much less 1/2 HP.
Realize, though, that the two curves I used are not the same as the alternators
previously discussed.  The results will, however, be similar.

So John is also right in saying the size and weight of the bigger alternator are
drawbacks.

Andy Messer
Hoosier Chapter

88 325iX
78 FJ-40 Land Bruiser

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 20:20:06 EST
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [uuc] breaking into a BMW

OK here is the best way to "break into your BMW" pick up your cell phone and 
call the 800 # for BMW roadside assistance. you can always write this number 
down and keep it in your wallet (or palmV)


Brian Jacobs
98 318ti
99 Z3 coupe
Everglades CCA
[EMAIL PROTECTED] 

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 20:45:55 -0500
From: "Susan and Sam Adams, Jr." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [uuc] [all] Sell of Rover?

Greetings,
The Daily Telegraph from the UK reports that BMW has found a buyer for
Rover.  The report stated that BMW planned to retain the Mini and Land Rover
divisions.  It also reported that the buyer is not an established car
manufacturer.  The BMW board meets tomorrow (that could be March 16 since
this was in the March 15 edition) to decide Rover's fate.  Just thought some
of you might be interested.
Take care,
Sam
75 2002

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 20:51:07 -0500
From: "Rob Levinson - UUC Motorwerks" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [uuc] Euro E34 M5 in L.A.

You forget, this is a '94 Euro model - it has the 340hp 3.8l engine, not the
315hp 3.6l found in US cars.  It also has the EDC (Electronic Dampin
Control) suspension that can be set to full "Sport" or left on "Program"
which cycles through 3 settings from Comfort to Sport based on vehicle
dynamics - yes, an early active suspension.  It also probably has a bunch of
other features not found in US cars, and is free of many of the US cars
niggling problems (peeling doors, lack of low-end torque).

Having now put a few miles on *my* '94, I can really appeciate that these
extra features are worth the price of entry.

$35K is reasonable if the car really is cherry.

- - Rob Levinson
'94 M5 Touring   www.shortshifter.com/robsnewtoy/
'88 M5 Turbo  www.bubbaclub.com/rob/m5/
"they both haul"


- ----- Original Message -----
From: kjk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, March 14, 2000 4:50 PM
Subject: [uuc] Euro E34 M5 in L.A.


> Not my car (damn) but looks like a sweet ride. Don't
> know if he will get that price given the number of E34
> M5's for sale right now.
>
>
http://www.classifieds2000.com/cgi-cls/ad.exe?P61+C14+A0+R892683+Q359412308
>
> Kevin Kelly

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 20:54:14 EST
From: "Mel Abrahams" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [uuc] Re: E46 M3 at Sebring

Now that is one bad looking Bimmer........can't wait to see the v12 win 
again!What motor are they running in the E46 M3?
______________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 21:04:49 EST
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [uuc] [WTT] '96 328ti for '88 M5/535iS

I am considering going the no payment route for a while and was wondering if 
anyone would be interested in a vehicle trade.

I am looking for a '88 M5/535iS 5 speed in good condition and cash to trade 
for my '96 318ti with 2.8L M52 engine.

I have a complete list of Mod's and accessories on the car I can e-mail you. 
It's Alaska Blue with Gray Millpoint interior. The car has 85k miles on it.

If your seriously interested, please e-mail me directly.

Stephen
'96 328ti Sport

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 21:21:35 -0500
From: "James Sheridan-Peters" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [uuc] Re: Cargo nets (a WOBing we will go..)

> Boy, we get some good ones on this Digest, don't we?  Wrecking cars on test
> drives, plowing up the school yard turning donuts, stealing cargo nets -
what
> next, ripping off the Girl Scouts selling cookies in front of the grocrey
store?

What, you mean to tell me they're not asking for it?!?!  Come on!  "Want some
Girl Scout cookies?"  They're practically asking me to take them...

- --
James Sheridan-Peters (daughter is a GS and has WAY too many boxes at home)
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
National Capital Chapter
'98 323is
'85 SCCA Spec RX-7 #00

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 18:21:50 -0800 (PST)
From: John Bolhuis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [uuc] <WOB> the small car that pollutes more

NOT just a 2002 full of Ventil Sauber:

http://www.fnwire.com/news/031300/satire-effluvium.html

- --
  John Bolhuis  | "In America it is not considered to be mentally ill
 bolhuijo       | when a woman advances on her prey in a discotheque
  @bolhuijo.com | setting with hardy cocktails present."
                |                                      -Madonna

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 21:25:55 -0500
From: Don Eilenberger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [uuc] Re: Radar question

At 07:46 PM 3/14/00 EST, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>Fuzzbuster?
>
>1974?

Nope.. earlier. Fuzzbuster actually worked sometimes..

:-)


Don Eilenberger, Spring Lk Hts, NJ JMP#1  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
NJ Shore BMW Riders web page: http://www.monmouth.com/~deilenberger
"You're absolutely right, and I apologize" --Darryl Richman
"Silly me... I apologize."  --Tim Hall  "Sorry..."  --Magwa

------------------------------

End of [uucdigest] V3 #441
**************************

_________________________________________
| Please visit these UUC-approved BMW parts vendors/service providers:
| (listed alphabetically)
| Bonneville Motorwerks . http://www.bonnevillemotorwerks.com
| Circle Tire Co. (used & classic BMW parts) e-mail [EMAIL PROTECTED]
| Curry's Auto Service .  http://www.currysauto.com
| Eurosport . http://www.eurosport-hp.com
| Koala MotorSport . http://www.koalamotorsport.com
| Taylor BMW - http://www.taylorbmw.com - Doc Bimmer!
| The Ultimate Garage . http://www.ultimategarage.com
| UUC Motorwerks . http://www.uucmotorwerks.com
| Zionsville Autosport . http://www.zionsvilleautosport.com
����������������������������������������

Reply via email to